stranger things?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stranger things?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
netflix

10 Best Movies to Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gettysburg chapter.

As we enter the dreaded season of midterm exams, it’s important to keep in mind that we’re already immersed in the most cozy season of all; fall! Study breaks are vital, and what better way to relax than putting on a movie that matches the view from your window? Here are the best movies to put you in that cozy, autumn mood this month.

Little women (2019)

This list is in no way ranked, but if it were, Little Women would still take the number one spot. Throughout this film, we follow the March sisters; Jo (Saoirse Ronan), Amy (Florence Pugh), Meg (Emma Watson), and Beth (Eliza Scanlen). Set in Massachusetts during the Civil War, the March sisters face the bittersweetness of leaving their childhood and passions in the past to take on their roles as women in the real world. It’s filled with love in all of its beauty and complexity. There’s romance, ambitious young women, and sisterhood, set against the backdrop of autumn leaves and winter snow.

When Harry Met sally (1989)

Meg Ryan, who makes an appearance later in this list, stars alongside Billy Crystal in this New York City romance. If you love a clever, well-done friends-to-lovers trope, this film is a staple. Out of convenience, Sally Albright (Meg Ryan) and Harry Burns (Billy Crystal) make a cross-country road trip together in college. They encounter each other for years to come, and as their friendship grows, so does the romantic tension between the two of them. It’s the perfect light-hearted watch for a tough day.

Harry Potter and the sorcerer’s stone (2001)

Some could argue that any of the Harry Potter movies could be on this list, but this movie feels the coziest in the fall and the winter. There’s magic, wonder, and for most people, nostalgia! But if you’re one of the few who has yet to watch, this fall is the perfect time.

Knives out (2019)

Who wouldn’t love an autumn murder mystery featuring Ana de Armas, Chris Evans, Jamie Lee Curtis, and Daniel Craig? When acclaimed author Harlan Thrombey is killed in his study, an intense investigation ensues amongst his children, each of whom is willing to fight tooth and nail for their cut of his inheritance. If you’re looking for something with a little more intrigue, Knives Out is a great place to start.

Good Will Hunting (1997)

This movie is specifically set on a college campus, which can make it feel all the more fitting during this midterm season. Matt Damon plays Will Hunting, a young janitor working at MIT with an IQ beyond anyone Professor Gerald Lambeau (Stellan Skarsgard) has ever seen. With the help of his therapist (Robin Williams) and Professor Lambeau, Will works to help himself and better his skills in math. If you’re a STEM major, this movie will be an even more meaningful watch.

Fantastic mr. fox (2009)

George Clooney and Meryl Streep voice Mr. and Mrs. Fox, a married couple of foxes combatting human farmers in this uniquely animated children’s movie. The visuals are beautifully warm and cozy for a chilly fall night in!

You’ve Got Mail (1998)

We’ve circled back to Meg Ryan’s flawless fall filmography with You’ve Got Mail. Enemies-to-lovers trope? Autumn in New York City? Love before first sight? All of these and more are staple plot points in this romantic comedy. Tom Hanks’ character, Joe Fox, works for the ever-growing bookselling empire of Fox Books, dangerously close to shutting down every independent bookstore in the city. Meg Ryan’s character, Kathleen, runs an independent bookstore that was left to her by her mother, and works to fight Fox Books all while unknowingly falling for Joe.

Dead Poets Society (1989)

Meg Ryan isn’t the only reoccurrence in this list. Robin Williams stars as English teacher John Keating in this teen drama that proves the impact that teachers can have on young lives. If you’re an English major, or just love literature and theatre, this movie may be incredibly comforting when you’re in need of a break. Dark academia, stunning scenes, and themes of friendship make Dead Poets Society so popular. This movie does have some triggering moments though, so if you’re interested be sure to check those out first!

The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

To be entirely honest, this isn’t a favorite fall-watch of mine, but it is for a lot of people! Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas is a stop-motion classic, following the king of Halloweentown, Jack Skellington, in his pursuit of the role of Santa Clause. It seems like every year, Christmas cheer starts earlier and earlier in the fall, so if you’re someone who can appreciate a good spooky Halloween flick while simultaneously wishing for Christmas, this movie isn’t one to miss out on.

Clue (1985)

Based on the classic murder-mystery board game, this film follows characters such as Miss Scarlet, Professor Plum, and Colonel Mustard. When six people are blackmailed into a night at a secluded mansion, their blackmailer is suddenly killed by an unidentified guest. Clue is a spooky and classy whodunit to watch just in time for Halloween.

Honorable Mention: It’s The GReat Pumpkin, CHarlie Brown (1966)

While the last must-watch on this list is technically a TV special and not a movie, it can’t just be left out. Probably the most nostalgic of all of the Charlie Brown specials, It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is perfect to watch on Halloween if you’re like me and have never been a huge fan of the horror genre. It’s an old animation that’s short, sweet, and perfect for a much-needed study break during this season of midterms!

Hayley Cisney

Gettysburg '25

Hayley Cisney is a writer for Her Campus Gettysburg. She covers topics from pop culture phenomena to date ideas, and has covered her chapter's Tik Tok. Hayley is in her Junior year at Gettysburg College with in an Interdisciplinary Studies major in Political Thought and American Literature. She works as a Student Outreach Ambassador for Gettysburg's Office of Annual Giving, along with acting as a Peer Learning Associate for an upper-level English class. When she's not working, Hayley enjoys staying home with her family, reading books, and online shopping.