Why I’m Not Voting for Hillary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

First of all, I love the idea of a woman president, but I have given up hope on her for a number of reasons. I’m keeping it simple, but you’re welcome to do your research.

1.   The E-mail scandal: Okay, so what’s the big deal? Well, she should have reported it before deleting the e-mails. It would be like you grabbing your boyfriend’s phone and he says, “Hold on, let me see that.” You ask him what he’s doing, and he responds, “Oh, I’m just deleting some messages.” Yeah, sure thing honey.  Then, she responds to questions about the scandal by saying,

“I chose not to keep my private, personal emails — emails about planning Chelsea’s wedding or my mother’s funeral arrangements, condolence notes to friends, as well as yoga routines, family vacations—the other things you typically find in In boxes. No one wants their personal emails made public, and I think most people understand that and respect that privacy.”  

To that, I add, “Really?” No, most people don’t respect that privacy anymore. People share workout routines on social media sites everyday and wedding plans on Pinterest. Who hasn’t shared family vacation pictures before? Even Jimmy Fallon shares his “Thank You Notes” on the Tonight Show. Is she afraid of being seen as “human” or the “average American?” Besides, even if she had secrets to keep why doesn’t she trust the government to handle it like the rest of us? Why doesn’t she trust her potential fans and voters with the truth?

2.    Lives Matter: Benghazi 

This one is simple. Hillary had time to respond to the threats but procrastinated. We had plenty of warning ahead of time, but Hillary seems to have never seen it coming. Maybe she was looking at her e-mails and got distracted by wedding plans or yoga. The point is, mistakes happen, but her asking, “What difference does it make?” makes her seem irresponsible. It makes an enormous difference and we need a president who can own up to her/his responsibilities. Avoiding things just makes you look guilty. 

3. She is Pro-Rape

In her first criminal defense case in 1975, Hillary Clinton lied about a 12-year-old girl’s rape.  You can hear the lies in the recordings where she laughed about the rapist getting off with only one year behind bars. To her defense, she mentions how not defending him (the rapist) would be a “breach of personal responsibilities.” Oh, so Benghazi wasn’t a breach of personal responsibility? She even goes so far as to fabricate reasons why this girl was guilty of stating how the girl can have a temper when she doesn’t get her way and how children ‘exaggerate’ these experiences when they come from ‘disorganized’ families. Does having an organized family make you any better than most Americans? This girl spent 5 days in a coma after the attack and was told she would never be able to have children. Hillary needs to apologize. 

4. She claimed she was Broke:

Ha-ha Ha, Hillary-ous! A multi-millionaire claiming not just financial trouble but going so far as to say she was broke. Hillary, if you are trying to get us to feel sorry for you, it’s not working. Why not try and say,“Vote for me because I am a woman, I have a lot of money, and I can do what I want.” So many people will support that. If you’re curious, go look up how much she makes. I know her campaign is to get corrupting money out of politics, but I’m assuming this is after her 2.5 billion is spent just to get your vote. Money can’t buy my vote. 

Amelia Beckworth

Georgia Southern

My name is Amelia Beckworth. I am a Junior at Georgia Southern University studying Fashion Design, but I am much more than that and I am sure you are too. Typically, I’m the kind of person who’d imagine their life with a soundtrack and a reality TV show. I have a broad imagination, a short attention span, and a big heart. As I write, you may see I have an immense love for God, captivating art, and mind-blowing music while delighting in channeling that negative energy into improving the lack thereof. I have trust issues with people who don’t add salt to their food and say they don’t sing in the shower. Easily won over by Nutella or Twizzlers, I have a habit of being both swayed and opinionated. For the most part, I enjoy helping people relate to and inspire one another through the expression of writing.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.