This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

FMAD Stitch:

The Fashion Merchandising and Apparel Design Department at Georgia Southern has a new service 

available and here’s what you need to know:

We (Kashia and Amelia) teamed up to ask Amber Shelton (Student Manager) and Emmalyn Bradford (senior FMAD student)

about the new Stitch program. 

What is it? A clothing alteration service that is free to students and faculty at Georgia Southern.

Purpose: FMAD Stitch is devoted to helping students keep their garments in good condition, thus eliminating the need to purchase new clothing and promote sustainability. FMAD students get hands-on experience volunteering their skills and operations.

When/Who is it available to? Anyone with a current GSU Eagle ID. Eagle ID holders can drop off their garments on Tuesday and Thursday from 4:30pm-7:00pm at the Sewing Lab in the School of Human Ecology building room 1006. 

How is it run? It is run by volunteers in the FMAD department and funded by Georgia Southern’s Center for Sustainability. Wednesdays are work days for the volunteers and no drop offs are permitted during this day. The FMAD Stitch group work their hardest to have a one week turn around on each order. 

How is it going? Very well. There are 3-4 customers a day bringing 2 garments, and it has only been open for 3 days now. 

What are the issues/concerns? Students can only bring in 2 garments per day. The program specializes in only basic hemming and mending, patchwork,sewing on buttons and zippers. They do not take major alterations or formal wear.

How can a student make a visit easier? Check our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/stitch.fit.style), bring shoes with the garment you want hemmed, make sure the garment is clean, and allow 15-20 minutes for a proper fitting.

Quote from a client: “…went to the place on campus yesterday. Their customer service skills were great and they got me in and out in no time.”

Kashia Knight

Georgia Southern

Amelia Beckworth

Georgia Southern

My name is Amelia Beckworth. I am a Junior at Georgia Southern University studying Fashion Design, but I am much more than that and I am sure you are too. Typically, I’m the kind of person who’d imagine their life with a soundtrack and a reality TV show. I have a broad imagination, a short attention span, and a big heart. As I write, you may see I have an immense love for God, captivating art, and mind-blowing music while delighting in channeling that negative energy into improving the lack thereof. I have trust issues with people who don’t add salt to their food and say they don’t sing in the shower. Easily won over by Nutella or Twizzlers, I have a habit of being both swayed and opinionated. For the most part, I enjoy helping people relate to and inspire one another through the expression of writing.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.