Understanding Love Languages and Discovering Your Own

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

All the recent talk around town has turned our attention towards love languages. If you are like me, before this year I had never thought twice about any love language nor what my own was.

Everyone expresses and shows love differently, which is why it is vital to know if a love interest has a different way of loving than you do. What works for you may not work for them and vice versa. When speaking about relationships, trouble can arise when couples have no idea how to love the other.

Your love language is basically your way of expressing love. It is what you value the most from another person. Understanding love languages is just a small piece of the puzzle to helping build stronger relationships.

Relationship counselor Gary Chapman gave us 5 love languages in his book, The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts.

image courtesy of lifehacker

Words of Affirmation

Using words to express emotions is not the unusual. Words hold power and someone with words of affirmation as their love language admires them strongly. From verbal expressions of love and appreciation to even compliments, you appreciate words of affection.

Quality Time

Having someone’s undivided attention is important. You long to have them near you no matter what the two of you may be doing. Their presence is what you appreciate the most. You value time spent together whether it is out on a nice date or watching TV together. Having quality time committed to you is a how you feel loved by someone and having time set aside for someone is how you show your love.

Receiving Gifts

Gifts symbolize thought and this love language means you value the thought and effort that goes into giving a gift. If this is your language, a gift can go a long way in showing you are cared for and loved. It does not even need to be something expensive, maybe even a card with a note or your favorite ice cream will do. This does not necessarily mean you are a materialistic person. This love language means having someone’s love put into something you can physically touch holds more value.

Acts of Service

If you believe strongly in ‘actions speak louder than words’ this may be your love language. Showing you love someone more than you tell them can go a long way for some. Acts of service can be helping someone out with things like chores, homework, running an errand, or cooking a meal for your spouse.

Physical Touch

Physical touch can speak louder than words at times. Things as simple as a hug or holding hands makes you feel a bit more connected to your spouse.

Now that you have gotten a brief rundown of the 5 love languages, take the official love language assessment to discover your own.

I'm either at home writing or sitting at the nearest Starbucks. Writer. Poet. Womanist. PR Girl 
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.