Poppin’ Writers: Bianca Yarde!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Bianca Yarde is a senior Spanish and Psychology major graduating this May from Georgia Southern University. Through her time as a writer and exec. position holder, Bianca was able to land the most reads on any article on our site since the founding in Sept. 2014. Today we wanted to give our readers an inside look to the writer behind the numbers!!

Her Campus: How does it feel to know that your article has topped viewership of any article produced since the chartering of our chapter?

Bianca Yarde:  It feels great! It was something that I wanted to do before I left.  I put a lot of thought into my articles so I’m really glad that people enjoyed it.

HC: Tell us a little about where you were and how you felt when you heard the news. Who was the first person you told?

BY: I was just waking up when I found out and I looked at my phone and there it was that I had the most reads.

HC: Where did you get the inspiration or idea for the 8 Porn Categories article?

BY: Ummm.. really it was something that I was just always curious about.  Pornography for women has always been such a taboo subject but  really just felt it was a necessary thing to write about because it is such an open secret amongst us. 

HC:Were you nervous that some readers wouldn’t be able to relate or feel it was too raunchy for a college magazine?

BY: No, not at all.  I really honestly feel like if people didn’t like it that the title was straightforward enough to deter them.  As a writer, I know that I cannot please everyone and nor do I aim to do so. Nowadays, someone is always going to have a problem and quite frankly, I don’t care about how those people feel.  Everyone has their preferences; if you don’t like it, write your own piece or just don’t read it.  But seriously, we’re all adults; we masturbate, have sex, watch pornography, and do many other normal things that humans do. What’s the big deal? 

HC: What do you think would be another good topic to write about to spark readers interests?

BY: I think any topic that relates to things that women don’t want to talk about would be a great topic. A lot of times we as women feel as though certain things should be left to men, which peaks our curiosities on certain subjects.

HC: What was your best and worst moment of writing for Her Campus Georgia Southern?

BY: The worst moment, was the first article I’d ever written to apply for the magazine because I was so nervous I had no idea what to write.  I think it was about when it was appropriate to fart in front of a guy you like.  My best moment, was when I figured out I didn’t need to use Paint to resize and insert pictures into my articles. That was an amazing day.

HC: Seeing that you’ve been with us for a while now, what is your advice for the chapter going forward after we leave?

BY:  Don’t sugarcoat anything, and don’t be worried if not everyone likes what you have to write.  If you’re going to write on certain subjects be mindful of the words that you use because people can take them out of context in the “age of the internet.”  But most of all, be yourself; don’t write things that aren’t your style or what you want to do.  Just because someone else has found their niche in a certain genre doesn’t mean that will work out for you.  But also, don’t be afraid to explore different genres don’t pigeon hole yourself, and don’t get discouraged when you don’t get the amount of reads you thought you might get. Keep trying. Finally, if you so choose to read the comments on your work, don’t take them to heart and use them to make you better, and not to deter you from writing.  

HC: What are your plans after graduation?

BY: Sleeping and relaxing! 

HC: What is your advice to anyone who wants to write for our publication and pass your article views?

BY: Write about what you know and make sure your titles and pictures are eye-catching.  Don’t be egregious and don’t be redundant.  Also, remember just because no one else may want to go there, doesn’t mean you can’t just be classy about it.

Ayanna Gant

Georgia Southern

Hi! I am Ayanna and I am the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Georgia Southern. I am a junior Public Relations major with a minor in Marketing. I hope to one day pursue a career in the sports and entertainment field of public relations!