This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

It is Day 19 of the New Year and coming into the college semester, you can already sense the changes around you. New hair colors, new hair styles, the new outfits everyone wears during the first week back. It never fails that after every Christmas break, we feel the need to come back to school looking our absolute best. We feel the need to come into the new year trying to better ourselves or prove that we can do things differently than we had the year before.

We all make this long list of all the things want to change positively about ourselves, but from observation, most of us blindly make these plans with no call to action. What exactly is it that you’re going to change about yourself that’s going to help you be a more successful woman this year? What is your plan to help you make more money that you wanted the New Year? Without any prior thought to what steps we would take into becoming a better woman for the new year, we will basically have found ourselves putting things into the atmosphere and then abruptly telling ourselves on the 31st “I’ll start next month.”

No matter the year, self-improvement has always been a good thing. Changing your hair color to match the changing seasons, switching out your purse for a bookbag, or even cutting out trans-fats and sodas are all great small goals that are stepping stones to bigger things we want to achieve. Going to the gym for three weeks in February and never touching the treadmill again after the second week of March is not the way we want to approach our resolutions for the New Year.

As you go into the New Year, remember that the follow through is what’s most important when it comes to implementing your goals that made on the first of the month. Handle your goals with a plan and follow through efficiently. You don’t have to change yourself completely, just plan to have better planning. As you continue on this New Year journey, remember that life is an echo and whatever you put out into the universe will always come back to you.

Austyn Sierra

Georgia Southern

Class of 2017 @ Georgia Southern University #HailSouthern. Host of 91.9 the buzz "Weekend Recovery Morning Show" on Mondays at 11am. The one who wasn't afraid to say what everyone else was thinking. Go forth into this world radiating peace, love, and good vibes. Twitter: @TheCityofAustyn Instagram: TheCityofAustyn Snapchat: TheCityofAustyn
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.