My Experience as a Transfer and How to Survive It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

It is the beginning of a new school year at Georgia Southern. Freshmen are learning all about college life through fun events during Weeks of Welcome with friends from high school, or new friends made at SOAR. Upperclassmen have returned already adapted to college life, excited to return to their friends, ready to make better grades, and have fun.

But, what about transfer students? How are they holding up? Most are upperclassmen who already knows the ins and outs of college. But, now they’re in an unfamiliar town at a new school where they may or may not know anyone. Being a transfer student at Georgia Southern can either be a good experience, an ok experience, or a bad experience. I know that for me, when I transferred from Georgia State University to what I now know is the “real GSU” in the fall of 2017, I expected to have a good year but instead I had an ok year. Now that I have completed a year here and have returned as a junior, I have learned that my first year at southern could have been better. The saying is true that “you only get out what you put into it”. There are multiple things I could have done to make my first year better.

Make Friends

This is a no brainer. Whether you go to a new school, move to a new town, or start a new job; it is always better to have people by your side who you can talk to and laugh with, even if it’s just one person. That’s right! One person is better than no one. I mean not all of us are social butterflies, some of us don’t make friends as quickly or easily and that’s ok. It depends on your personality. Also, not everyone you come into contact with is meant to be your friend, you should choose them carefully. You can start with your roommates. When I came to GSU I lived with three girls. They already had known each other for years. Ultimately, I didn’t make a big enough effort to get to know them, and they didn’t make a big enough effort to get to know me. It is unfortunate to deal with loneliness and be a stranger in your own home. After all, your college campus is supposed to be your home away from home. So, I would suggest getting to know your roommates from thee start. If they’re in the living room talking, ask if you can join them. If they’re in the kitchen cooking, ask about what they’re cooking or I they need any help. If their room door is open, say hey, ask how their day went, ask what are they up to, or compliment their décor. Just make an effort. Even if they don’t become your best friends, it’s still nice to be able to have a conversation and not be a stranger.

Get involved

Georgia Southern has over 350 student organizations, surely there is one you will find interesting and if not you can make your own. If you don’t know where to start, because 350 organizations can be a lot to choose from, here are a couple of suggestions.

1. Join the Student Government Association
  2. Join the Residence Hall Association
  3. Join the George-Anne Media Group
  4. Join a fraternity or sorority
  5. Join intramural sports

Get to know the campus

Georgia Southern has a beautiful campus, so familiarize yourself with popular places on campus and the traditions that makes being an eagle so fun!

1. Visit Sweetheart circle to enjoy the scenery, study, and relax.
  2. Visit the Recreation Activity Center to exercise and participate in fun group fitness classes.
  3. Visit Russell Union for Chick-fil-A, Gus Mart, Starbucks, and the theater.
  4. Visit Zach S. Henderson Library to stud and use computers and print work.
  5. Learn about other traditions such as Freedom’s Flight, Homecoming, football chants, and more.

Get to know Statesboro

Get to know the town you live in and all about community events o you can feel more at home. https://www.visitstatesboro.org/calendar/ 

1. Go to Scare on the Square
  2. Go to the fair
  3. Go to the hunted forest at the Clubhouse
  4. Visit Savannah and Tybee Island

Khiyah G

Georgia Southern '19

My name is Khiyah Griffin and I am currently a junior at Georgia Southern University majoring in Journalism.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.