This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

A GSU Spring Break

Spring Break is just around the corner, and it is time to finalize your plans! For some of us that means finding something to do that isn’t going to completely drain your already shallow bank accounts. Luckily, Georgia Southern is in a great location! There many things to do in, near, or a in a short trip away from The ‘Boro. So here is a quick guide on how to survive spring break 2018 on campus!

Plan Plan Plan

1. If you know anybody that is also staying down here, ask them if they want to make plans. Don’t waste time being lonely and bored!
  2. Also plan a day for yourself! If you go this whole week trying to follow a bunch of commitments you’ll probably feel burnt out by the end of it! Take a day to chill out and relax.
  3. Remember to do homework and other assignments PLEASE! It may be a break, but when classes start again, Professors will not be forgiving when you don’t turn in that 12-page paper.

If you need help planning check out this article from Her Campus WVU, or this article from Her Campus Mizzou.

Activities You Can Do

1. Day Trip in Savannah

One of the best parts of going to Georgia Southern is being able to visit one of Georgia’s best cities! Savannah is a little gem full of history, shopping, and great food! I recommend trying Fire Street Food off Abercorn St. Savannah is one the oldest cities in Georgia and has many historical things to do like ghost tours. The city is also well known for the arts, so check out a museum or two! But don’t forgot to walk down the “ stone stairs of death” and go to the river walk.

2.Kayak Through Cypress Trees

If you like being outdoors, then take a short drive up to George L. Smith State Park and go kayaking through the beautiful cypress trees. The views here are breathtaking and something that every GSU student should experience while in Statesboro. The park also has biking, fishing, and hiking trails. This is a great place to relax and take the day off.

3. Beaches and Georgia Islands

Everybody usually just goes to Tybee Island for a great beach day, but why stop there? Use this time to go experience the other great Georgia beaches and get a whole new experience. There’s Glory beach, which was location of the Academy Award-winning motion picture, Glory. Cumberland Island, which has wild horses and happens to only be reachable by boat. There’s also Driftwood beach, that is located on Jekyll Island.

4. Eagle Creek Brewing Company

Eagle Creek Brewing Company is a local brewery that now has a restaurant! They frequently have live music and they have tours of the brewery. It is a Statesboro gem that holds a lot of the city’s history.

5. Statesboro Unlocked

New in Statesboro is Statesboro Unlocked, which is a team Escape Room. Escape Rooms are new interactive games where you are placed in a room for 60 minutes. Within that hour, you must team up with family, friends, co-workers, or even strangers to solve puzzles, piece together riddles, and unlock secret combinations to gain your freedom from the room.

6. See a New City

Statesboro location near and coast, and new I-95 is great because it gives us great access to nearby cities that we probably wouldn’t have thought of going to before. You can make a 2-hour day trip to Jacksonville FL, which is known for its beaches, zoo, and wildlife museums. Up the 95 there is Charleston, SC. Another coastal town, that is known for its southern charm and historical significance.

While you may not go be going home this spring break, Statesboro is still a great place to be for the break. This is just a short list, but there is so much to do and experience around here it could be so much more! Hope you Eagles have a great Spring Break!

Sidney Taylor-Reynolds

Georgia Southern '20

Sidney Taylor-Reynolds is a writer anc current VP for Her Campus Georgia Southern. She enjoys writing about tips that can help you in all aspects of life. Outside of Her Campus she studies Interior Design at GSU and is also a member of the Atlanta Jamaican Association. Her other passions include drawing and painting, music, and traveling! Follow her on Instagram @sidneylauren  
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.