stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Eagles took eagerly part in Pilates for Pink

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Pink dominated Georgia Southern University’s Recreational Activity Center on Tuesday evening. About 450 Eagles showed their support for raising breast cancer awareness and worked out together for the cause. 

“Pilates for Pink is our annual event that we hold in October with ZTA. We offer 30-minute group fitness classes to increase participation [at the RAC] but we also want to increase awareness about breast cancer,” Fitness Program Assistant Mindy Lord said.

There were five different classes offered to students during the two-hour event: Zumba, cycling, pilates, kickboxing and barre blast. The 2 court gym at the Campus Recreation and Intramurals was decorated according to the theme: pink ribbons, pink towels, and a lot of pink t-shirts. Snacks and small competitions were offered too.

IT freshman Chidera Obinali started the event with a planking challenge with her friends.

“My time was two minutes and 15 seconds. We fell down at the same time with my friend so technically we were even,” she said. Obinali was going to attend at least the pilates class at the event.

The event started with a Zumba class that drew at least a hundred students to the floor. A dance battle between the instructors spiced things up.

The event featured also a bulletin board for body love. The question was: “What do you like most about yourself?” 

Pilates for Pink was held for the fifth time and it kicked off Breast Cancer Awareness Month which is held in October. The event will come back again next year.

I am Minna, I'm 21 years old and I come from Finland. I will be spending the fall semester of 2015 here in Statesboro and exploring America. I love books, writing, tea, early morning workouts and being creative. In the future I hope to be a journalist in a magazine!
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.