This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Name: Acacia Desiree’ Miller 

Hometown: Born: Thomasville, GA   

Raised: Brunswick, GA

Year: Junior 

Major: Fashion Merchandising & Apparel Design (Design Emphasis)

Life Motto/Fashion Motto: “Sketch, sew, and the pursuit of fashion”

Religion: Christianity

Must-have fashion item: piercings, all 17 of them!!!

Clubs/Organizations: M.A.P: Minority Advisement Program, NAACP

Her Campus: What do you hope to accomplish through these organizations?

Acacia Miller: To instill knowledge upon myself, a platform to advance myself through leadership, and networking opportunities.

HC: What advice would you offer to fashion students or those interested in the major?

AM: Fashion students: I would advise to those within the major that regardless of your advancement in FMAD, NEVER think that anyone is beneath you or that you are too good to help anyone or receive help. We all need each other eventually and you never know of the opportunities that can arise from communication of people within our major. Interested in the major: Don’t be intimidated to understand the concepts of fashion or think that you don’t have the creativity/skills. FMAD is a learning process and you grow each day and learn a variety of skills. Don’t stereotype that every male in the major is homosexual. Also, don’t assume that our major is easy, it requires a lot of rigorous courses and creativity in the FMAD department.

HC: What is a random fact that people should know about you?

AM: I have 17 piercings and I had my first drink when I turned 21, March 8, 2015.

HC: You are a part of the FMAD department, how do you think the professors and opportunities will help you reach your goals?

AM: I believe the professors will provide guidance for me even after I graduate. They currently have to deal with our major constantly growing and I commend them because I have learned so much and they do not hesitate to assist you even though they have busy schedules. They also provide opportunities through networking and could introduce new techniques and life lessons that I could carry on forever.

HC: What are the perks of FMAD?

AM: They have 24-hour access to a sewing lab on campus; non-FMAD majors aspire to FMAD major’s ideas/opinions on concepts in regards to fashion, and opportunities to network through internships, professional seminars, and design competitions.

HC: How did you become interested in it?

AM: Previously, I attended Armstrong State University as a fine arts major and always knew I wanted to receive a degree pertaining to fashion. As I attended Armstrong, my best friend convinced me to join a modeling organization named “Collaboration Models” as a productions members and I absolutely loved it. I was highly recommended to look more into GSU’s fashion program by a colleague in the modeling organization to pursue my dream. I was interested in what I researched and transferred to GSU Fall 2014.

HC: What all does it require?

AM: Time, time, and more time!!! Your really have to love what you do as a fashion major because it is very time consuming so time management and patience would be great skills to possess. You also have to be dedicated because FMAD requires you to know concepts and terminology in regards to fashion and merchandising in the industry, continuously updating your resume, high work ethic to meet deadlines for things such as: trade press analysis, garment samples, construction of garments, extensive research, etc., and networking/preparation for internships to assist you for your career in the future.

HC: What opportunities has GSU given you since being involved in FMAD?

AM: Recently I engaged into GSU’s annual “Dress in the Press” design competition as a team of four where we had to incorporate a traditional, yet functional wedding dress out of newspaper in two hours. I initially did it for fun with my friends and to have something to put on my resume. In disbelief, our team “Threads” won the designing competition and it honestly boosted my confidence as an incoming design major and that underdogs can also play with the big dogs.

HC: What other hobbies do you have?

AM: Instagram really interests me because it is a visual representation of networking and communicating ideas and trends (my Instagram: @excusemiifashion). Doing hair and also learning the fundamentals of applying make-up also are hobbies I am into because it is a major stress reliever and I want to be able to utilize what I know on my models.  

Amelia Beckworth

Georgia Southern

My name is Amelia Beckworth. I am a Junior at Georgia Southern University studying Fashion Design, but I am much more than that and I am sure you are too. Typically, I’m the kind of person who’d imagine their life with a soundtrack and a reality TV show. I have a broad imagination, a short attention span, and a big heart. As I write, you may see I have an immense love for God, captivating art, and mind-blowing music while delighting in channeling that negative energy into improving the lack thereof. I have trust issues with people who don’t add salt to their food and say they don’t sing in the shower. Easily won over by Nutella or Twizzlers, I have a habit of being both swayed and opinionated. For the most part, I enjoy helping people relate to and inspire one another through the expression of writing.
Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.