5 Things that are Always Changing in Statesboro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgia Southern chapter.

Statesboro, Georgia. I’ve come to call this place home over the past four years and everytime I turn around it seems like something new is always changing. I know change is inevitable, but it seems that Statesboro is known for having certain things that are bound to change. So these are the 5 things that are always changing in Statesboro… at least in the last four years anyway. 

1.) Apartments

The Avenue is now Southern Downs, University Village is now Market 100 Apartments, The Cove is now The Renaissance… I can go on and on but it would honestly be a mile-long list. A lot of the time apartment complexes change management and with new management comes a new name. We get that, but that doesn’t make it any less confusing when talking about a certain apartment complex to someone that has only been here for a short amount of time and they have no idea where you’re talking about because it has a completely new name. That also does not mean that for those of us who have been here for a while, are going to start calling the apartment by its new name. Just saying. 

2.) Bars

This one goes hand in hand with number one. Remember when Midtown used to be The Grill or when Shenanigans used to be Retrievers? It seems like the bars are forever changing. A lot of the bars in the Plaza are now closed down and at times the Plaza looks completely deserted, especially when compared to a few years ago. I honestly wouldn’t be surprised at all if the Plaza was completely gone and replaced with something new in a couple of years. 

3.) Campus

Georgia Southern has an amazing campus and it is fortunately growing, accepting more and more students each school year. But of course, with growth comes change. Some of the changes can be disappointing, like them getting rid of Talons, Cold Stone, and Einstein Bros. Bagels. Is it too much to ask to bring my cinnamon sugar bagels back!? But other changes can be really cool like the new Biological Science building or the brand new Health Services building. In addition to that, they’re almost done with the new ROTC building and in the near future it is said that they’re building an addition to the Union, rebuilding Carruth, and constructing a new building for Forest Drive. 

4.) Weather

It still blows my mind how unpredictable the weather in Statesboro can be! How the hell can it be 45 degrees at 8 in the morning and 85 degrees around noon? That just seems unnatural to me. This has to be global warming at its finest. I mean didn’t we basically have summer in December? 

5.) People

Friends can turn into strangers, boyfriends (or girlfriends) can turn into exes, and the people who you thought that would always be there for you can end up turning into the exact opposite of who they portrayed themselves to be. It’s not uncommon for people to change. That’s life. Sometimes you just reach a point in your life where you just out-grow certain people or vice versa, and Statesboro has definitely taught me that. That growth can help mold and shape you into a better person and you realize that actually maybe a little change isn’t so bad after all. 

Jordan Wheeler

Georgia Southern '22

Jordan Wheeler is a Junior Pre-Law Philosophy major who attends Georgia Southern. Jordan loves writing, singing, and hanging out with friends.