Simply Beautiful: Tips for an All-Natural, Healthy Glow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

From shopping for organic foods to selecting products with natural ingredients, women today are growing increasingly aware of the inextricable link between health and beauty. Besides living a holistic and active lifestyle, a radiant appearance can be achieved through basic products and a commitment to preventative measures.

1)   Hydrate: Inside and Out

Drink water! In addition to increased energy and weight loss promotion, water helps rid the body of toxins, and makes our skin appear less dry and wrinkled. Personally, I keep a reusable plastic Starbucks cup with me almost all the time, which encourages me to keep drinking. Occasionally I like to spruce it up with lemons, limes, and a splash of antioxidant-infused Bai drinks for a little flavor.

Moisturizing regularly is absolutely essential for glowing skin. I keep a jar of coconut oil in my room and apply two or three times a week. Coconut oil is full of vitamin E, which is about the most moisturizing element you can provide your skin. Adding sugar or salt to your coconut oil also creates an effective and natural exfoliate. Just make sure you buy organic so your skin isn’t soaking up any toxins!

When I remember, I apply the oil about ten minutes before my shower, to allow it to really soak in. If I’m in more of a rush, I apply it to my entire body as soon as I hop in the shower and let it sit while I wash my face, hair, and condition. The oil makes shaving my legs much smoother and leaves a fresh scent even after my body wash. In my experience, coconut oil penetrates much deeper than any store-bought lotion, and my skin is visibly shiny for at least a day or two after.

2)   Protect Your Skin Today, Prevent Aging Tomorrow

There is no treatment for wrinkles or sun damage more powerful than prevention. One of the most beautiful and ageless women I know is my own mother. Among dozens of idioms drilled in my head, my mom loves to share two pieces of advice passed on from her mother, “An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” and “Always protect your hands and décolleté (chest and neck), because they  show a woman’s age.

Heeding the advice of both my mother and grandmother, I protect my skin by almost never sleeping in makeup and washing my face in the morning, after exercise, and before bed. Additionally, I started using Estee Lauder’s Advanced Night Repair Serum every night and have seen a dramatic difference in the expression lines on my forehead and fine wrinkles around my eyes. Although this product is not cheap, it is far less expensive than the cost of Botox and to me, an investment in my future beauty. Also, prior to making the leap to serum I found great results with the far more economical Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle cream, and still use it as my moisturizer.

The first signs of aging begin to appear in our early 30’s and they are dramatically increased by exposure to the sun. Protect your face by wearing moisturizer or foundation with SPF, even in the winter. In order to get a healthy glow without the damage, I highly recommend Kate Somerville’s Face Self Tanning Pads, and NARS Laguna bronzer/Orgasm blush combination. Both products are available at Sephora and look very natural.

3)   Fortify Hair and Nails

Basic steps in your beauty routine such as styling your hair with heated tools and regular manicures can be very harmful to both your hair and nails. Over time, these actions will result in weakened nail beds, brittle nails, hair damage, and hair loss. In order to prevent this, I take a daily Biotin supplement and apply Deborah Lipmann’s Hydrating Hardener and Top Coat.

After reading an article written by Erin Andrews about her experience taking Biotin, I decided to try it myself. Biotin occurs naturally in our body and is essential for our metabolism to function properly. Additionally, the supplement has been proven to stimulate hair and nail growth. Since I started this summer, I have noticed my hair is significantly stronger. Not only does my ponytail feel thicker, but I also lose much less hair in the shower and from brushing. 

Our nails are comprised of living tissue. Constant nail polish use prevents them from breathing and causes them to dry out. Additionally, if you never give your nails a break they will become less strong and turn yellow over time. To avoid this, I use Deborah Lipmann’s product three ways: as a base coat to protect my nail, topcoat to prevent chipping, or alone to give my nails a glossy shine while allowing them to strengthen.

4)  Brighten Your Smile

A recent poll done by Glamour magazine found that men are drawn to a woman’s face over any other body part, and the first features they notice are her eyes and smile.

A slightly more academic study done by a team of behavioral scientists in Britain used fMRI images to study activation in the orbitofrontal cortex when viewing attractive faces.  This part of the brain is involved in processing sensory rewards and the results show “the presence of a smile may provide an important signal that a reward is or is not attainable”. Essentially, a warm, genuine smile signals to others you are approachable and therefore attracts them to you. If you want to catch his eye and draw him in, do it with a bright, friendly smile.

I recently started using Crest whitening toothpaste and mouthwash and have seen results in less than a week. My teeth are so sensitive that white strips are basically torture for me and therefore I had to stop using them. These products provide the perfect solution: no pain, less than $10, professional level results.

Katie Stuke

Georgetown

Lacey Henry

Georgetown