Avoiding the “I Just Got Dumped” Fifteen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

I’ve been reading a lot of posts about pizza lately. Yes, pizza. The thing that puts the “ZA” in amAZing, the “PI” in ePIphany, the “ZZ” in FantaZZtic (too much?) Anyway, pizza is a great thing that many single ladies claim as their one, true love.  We’ve all read the Tumblrs and blog posts suggesting that girls rule, and will also much rather drool over a delicious, freshly baked pizza than a boy. But, let’s be real ladies. That “fact” is just not true. Although, it is funny to “pretend date” pizza and claim Ben and Jerry as our boyfriends for the evening, there is no getting around the famous “let’s eat our feelings” mantra.

We replace boys with food because we’re sad, stressed, and lonely. Girls, by nature, want to be wanted. When that falls through, we end up losing all sense of self-control and, unfortunately, usually emotionally binge eat. Following the realization of our perpetual loneliness, and/or breakup, can often force us to go all Elle Woods and eat an entire box of chocolate in one sitting. Or stuff Half Baked down our throats while desperately dialing Dominos at 2 a.m. But instead of the chocolates and the pizza, what are some other healthier options when we want to eat away our feelings? (Sorry Ben and Jer…you’ve just been dumped)

1.)  Fro-Yo: It might seem as though you’re cheating on ice cream, but take one bite of Fro-Yo and the guilt will quickly disappear. Not only is this post-break up treat delicious, it now comes in a variety of flavors from different brands (not to mention it has way fewer calories than regular ice cream). Keep it simple and enjoy!

2.)  Smartfood: Instead of reaching for those chocolates while watching sappy rom-coms, opt for popcorn instead! The perfect movie treat, Smartfood will help you get through those tear jerking moments in The Notebook and avoid that ever present yearn for chocolate. If you lay off the excess butter and salt, popcorn is actually a pretty healthy snack option. Eat away!

3.)  Turkey: Instead of munching on a loaded hot dog with all of the fixings, make yourself a turkey sandwich. Turkey has tryptophan, which increases the serotonin levels in your bloodstream. Extra serotonin means an increase in mood, a decrease in depression, and a better resistance to simple carbs. Thank you, Turkey!

4.)  Eggs: Nothing is easier than whipping up an omelet! Cracking them eggs may help release some tension and, guess what, it’s super healthy for you too! The Vitamin C found in eggs help keep stress causing hormones in check, proving to be the perfect post-breakup meal.

5.)  Trail Mix: Trail mix is by far the most underrated snack. With so many different options and varieties out there, every girl can find her perfect match. Typically, Trail Mix contains M&M’s, almonds, peanuts, and raisins. Aka: the perfect combination of salty and sweet.

So ladies, next time you feel the need to stress eat following a breakup, choose wisely! After all, there is no use in being down or making yourself feel less than the great girl you are. Put down the fork and knife. Get out of those sweatpants. Take a shower, and have that poor boy wishing he had never denied you in the first place. And let’s be real…no guy is worth the stomachache of an entire pint of Chubby Hubby.