alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways to Show Yourself Kindness This Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Georgetown chapter.

Everyone here at Georgetown is seemingly driven and excessively involved; however, this glorified view is exaggerated. No one can do everything. Our homework will get done and we will make it to our meetings, but it is important to realize that it’s not worth sacrificing relationships and health for a resume or status. If you’re doing what you love and you want to be as involved as possible, then go for it. I support staying busy and engaged. But always keep in mind that YOU come first. So ponder the following list of ways in which you take a moment and be kind to yourself:

1)    Decide to sleep in—No class but still set an early alarm? Whether it’s for exercise or to get work done, consciously decide to sleep more once in a while. The challenge is not to feel lazy or bad about it. But don’t. With the right amount of sleep, you will be so much more productive and energized throughout the day.

2)    Skip a club meeting—Here at Georgetown, clubs are a big deal, and most of them have weekly meetings. It’s okay not to go to all of them. Especially if you have 2 others that night and won’t be home until 10pm. I always feel bad because if I signed up to be a part of a club, I intend on being involved; however, sometimes a break is needed.

3)    Buy yourself something nice—Whether it be a chocolate bar or your favorite fruit. Go out of your way to treat yourself. Maybe there’s a pizza place you absolutely love, but don’t go to enough, or a brunch place you’ve been dying to try, but haven’t entered. It doesn’t have to be food, I just like it. Get a manicure, or go to an art gallery. Watch a movie that you really wanted to see but hadn’t found the time.

4)    Smile at yourself in the mirror—It may sound silly, but it will improve your mood.

5)    Do something you love—Read a book or drink a cup of tea. Watch an episode of your current Netflix series. Just enjoy what life has to offer. Revel in the little things and their beauty.

6)    Call your parents or a friend—and just chat. Tell them you love them. Be sure to only focus on them. The commotion around us in college can usually distract us from the conversation at hand, but find a quiet place off the grid and make yourself and the other person feel special.

Keep in mind that these are things that can be done every once in a while to lighten your load and your mood. There are so many more ways beyond this list. Even during a busy, stressful day, it’s possible to take a moment to reflect on the positives. Showing yourself kindness is one of the most important things you can do. Not only will it make you happier, but it will improve your productivity and affect others positively. Life is a turbulent whirlwind, and taking moments to enjoy what it has to offer will slow it down, at least temporarily. Be careful not to spread yourself too thin, but don’t stop being involved. Be happy, smile at yourself in the mirror, and remember your health comes first. 

Source Image Retrieved from: http://blog.bookrenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Happy-College-Stud…

Victoria is a senior at Georgetown University studying Psychology. She is a self proclaimed Pinterest enthusiast and health nut, who also enjoys running, yoga, baking, and anything outdoors.