This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I want to preface this article by stating I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with wearing or loving makeup! In fact, a lot of women see it as a form of artistic expression and view their face as a canvas. But the truth of the matter is when women don’t wear makeup, or when they wear makeup that isn’t “natural” or conforming to society’s standards, they are perceived differently.

When George Mason collegiettes were asked why they wear makeup, many of them had similar responses: they felt inclined to because they have work, they get complimented more, they felt insecure without it, they are told they look younger without it, they are told they look tired or sick without it, they have allergies or they felt the need to cover up dark circles or acne due to hurtful comments they’ve received. Those who said they don’t wear makeup frequently were asked what reaction they receive when they do: greater tips or sales at work, received more compliments, don’t get carded as often, are asked who they’re trying to impress or feel that they are taken more seriously in academic settings.

One collegiette summarized, “I wear makeup because I find it fun to play with. I don’t wear it because I have to or feel insecure. Society definitely expects women to wear makeup, and when we don’t they ask ‘are you okay?’”

There is a huge societal misconception that women aren’t put together or beautiful unless they wear makeup and appear flawless. The beauty industry has turned makeup into a necessity in order to be treated as competent or deemed beautiful. Even their “natural campaigns” feature women with seemingly flawless skin, who somehow achieve more than eight hours of sleep. If women have so much as a blemish or dark under eye circles they immediately feel the need to cover them up. These type of messages are instilled in adolescent girls, making them feel as if they’re not good enough. Even as we college women transition to professional working women, many of us still feel the need to “cover up” our “imperfections.”

Related: I Took a #NoFilter Selfie Every Day For a Week and This Happened

I say “imperfections” as we only consider them that because we’re told to do so. I contour my face to make it appear slimmer because that’s what society has deemed more attractive. I apply winged eyeliner because I want to receive compliments on my eyes. I apply blush because I’m told I look sickly pale if I don’t. These types of insecurities and beauty goals were not something instilled in me, but something I was taught through remarks on my appearance or from watching my favorite celebrities. There is no such thing as an imperfection, rather it’s something you’ve been taught not to like about yourself. I challenge you, whatever your insecurity is, to learn to love it. Wear what you once thought as imperfections as a confident shield of armor against all the negative perceptions that once hindered you.

There’s a difference between promoting makeup to encourage and liberate women to express themselves and shaming them into conforming. If you don’t want to wear makeup there is nothing wrong with your beautiful, all natural self. You are flawless either way. If you want to wear makeup to express yourself do whatever look you want, the more bold and brazen the better! Just don’t let society tell you what to do. Leave that up to you.

Jennifer Muchnikoff

George Mason University '20

Currently a Senior at George Mason University, I am a Communications Major with double concentrations in Public Relations and Journalism. When I'm not focusing on being a Staff Writer and Social Media Editor for HerCampus, I am an active member of Zeta Tau Alpha or interning at ABC7 News!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com