This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Thrift shopping is a fun weekend pastime that sometimes comes with digging through questionable things to find some hidden gems. Honestly though, thrifting is great for saving money on quality clothes, finding unique trinkets or even furnishing and decorating your home. The best part is not just the pricing on things- but the fact that depending on the area, each shop has different items. As someone who has done a lot of thrift store hopping, here are just a few things to keep in mind for any newbies or for those who have yet to discover the wonders of their local Goodwill.

You literally never know what you’ll find, so keep an open mind.

Via Giphy

Thrift stores/consignment shops are so fun to just browse through stuff. Some of the things people donate make you either think, “wow, they really didn’t want this?” or “okay.. who would ever buy something like this?” Truly, there are hidden gems inside each store- you just have to do enough browsing.

That being said, you may not find the thing you came looking for.

Via Giphy

Looking for a skirt? A jacket? Maybe there’s a specific type of look you’re going for? Either way, as big and full of hope as some thrift stores look, they are unfortunately not magic. You might not find the thing you were looking for initially but after some searching, you might even find something better.

Related: 5 Ways To Transition Into a Fall Wardrobe

Remember: you can (sometimes) DIY and transform thrifted items (you really gotta know what you’re doing though)

Via Giphy

Some of us are gifted with a needle and thread. Others? Perhaps not so much. On some occasions though, you can make a lot out of thrifted items such as a long skirt/dress, high waisted jeans or jackets, for example. If you happen to completely ruin the clothing or overestimate your abilities at the end (mood), at least it was thrifted.

The men’s section is another beautiful land of opportunities.

Via Giphy

Sometimes the women’s section can be limited or just not up your alley. Give the men’s section a quick look- literally everything I thrift comes from the men’s section. Oversized jackets, sweaters.. You name it, they’ve more than likely got it.

Thrifted sweaters especially- trendy and comfy finds

Via Giphy

“Sweater season is here and I am so about it but my wallet is not”

Solution: thrifting!! I promise you, there is probably every type of sweater available at your local thrift store. Most don’t really cost $10 depending on where you go, and you can always take the necessary steps to wash/dry clean them.

You can seriously find a lot of cute vintage/90’s goodies sometimes- give it a chance and don’t spend $60 on that tattered jacket from Urban.

Via Popkey

I was literally so shocked when I was at Unique one day and came across a few velvet dresses. Needless to say, I left happy that day.

Besides clothing, you can find a lot of cute decor, trinkets and even appliances.

Via Giphy

Plates, clocks, (some) appliances, vases- almost everything you can think of is somewhere out there in those shelves and racks. Don’t be afraid to explore!

We all love a good retail therapy session so why not indulge in a financially responsible and even fun way?Via Giphy

Thrift responsibly, collegiettes.

Nancy Nyamaa

George Mason University '19

Nancy is currently a senior at George Mason majoring in communication (concentration in journalism) and minoring in conflict analysis & resolution. She's passionate about true crime podcasts, baking, and editing. After she graduates she hopes to pursue a career in journalism and eventually go to grad school.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com