A Rundown of Second Semester as Told by Grey’s Anatomy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Winter break is over and second semester is emerging. Many take this time to start fresh, while there are others who anxiously fear the terrors of what new classes may bring. Your favorite doctors from Grey-Sloan Memorial have you covered when it comes to predicting how the second half of your college year will go.

1. The first day

After pulling a number of all-nighters over break and not waking up until noon, your sleep schedule may not be the best it has been in weeks. You wake up at seven o’clock the first day regretting that 8 a.m. biology lecture.

2. Syllabus week

Meeting your professors can be intriguing. You don’t know whether or not taking their course is going to be heaven-sent with a lot of test curving, or hell-on-earth as you drown in hours unanticipated studying.

3. The first month

You’ve gotten used to the late night, early morning routine and your workload is starting to pick up. However, you still sit in lecture unaware of anything your professor or TA is saying. I mean, how long have we been in college?

4. The day you ace your first exam or paper

You realize that second semester isn’t going to be all that bad. You managed to get a satisfactory grade on a major assignment after you put in work for countless hours. Dance party time!

5. The day you fail your first exam or paper.

Well at least you tried.

6. Mid-terms

Just a little sample of the nightmares of finals week. This can be the deal breaker on whether you will pass a course, or contemplate dropping out while you still have the chance.

7. Spring break

Finally, a week of peace and quiet, until that one annoying professor hits you with a Blackboard notification that details an upcoming assignment you must complete before the break is over. That’s when you officially begin to crack.

8. Finals week

Hell has made its grand entrance AGAIN, and you can’t help but to stop and think about how you will survive this gruesome time. Coffee is not going to be the only solution here.  

9. Move-out day

Summer is here. Your worries are now long gone away and can’t wait to soak up in the sun. You made it through a whole year of college just to anticipate its arrival again next fall. Congratulations. Remember you are the sun. 

Basically, if the doctors of Greys Anatomy can survive a bombing, shooting and plane crash, you can get through second semester. Buckle up, it’s going to be a wild ride; but hey, nobody knows what may happen. Good luck!

Bri Hayes

George Mason University '20

Brianna "Bri" Hayes is a Community Health, pre-nursing student from Richmond, Virginia studying at George Mason University with a strong passion for editorial and journalistic writing. Brianna spent her whole high school career studying communications and media relations under a broad spectrum, including experience in journalism, public relations and marketing, videography, film and production, graphic design, and photography. At Mason, she’s the president of the National Pan-Hellenic Council and a member of various organizations including the Omicron Iota Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., Patriot Activities Council, the Akoma Circle Mentoring Group, and Student Involvement. In her spare time, Brianna likes to read and explore new places and things. After graduation, she hopes to fulfill a career in nursing and public health.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com