#OneVoteMatters: Your Guide to Off-Campus Voting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

75% of George Mason students live off-campus, meaning they don’t qualify to vote at the convenient on-campus polling station in Merten Hall. However, going out to the polls has never been more imperative. With the deadline to request absentee ballots — the Tuesday before election day in Virginia and 7 days before election day in the District of Columbia — rapidly approaching, it’s time to make sure you know where, when and how you’re going to make sure your vote counts, now is not the time to procrastinate.

Ways to vote

If you go to the polls in person on Election Day, you will have from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. to go to your polling place and cast your ballot. If you’re unable to be at your polling place on November 6th, you have the option to either request an absentee ballot or appear at your voter registration office before Election Day. To request an absentee ballot in Virginia, fill out the online application by 5:00 p.m. on October 30th. If you’re going to be in your district before November 6th, but not specifically on November 6th, you can cast your ballot in Virginia between September 21st and November 3rd at your local voter registration office.

What you need

A valid photo ID is essential to voting, and you must bring one in order to cast your ballot. Valid forms of ID include: VA driver’s licence, VA DMV-issued photo ID, United States Passport, Employer-issued photo ID, other US or VA government issued ID, tribal enrollment or other tribal ID, and your George Mason-issued photo ID (or any other virginia college or university)! However, if you have none of these forms of ID accessible, you can visit any Virginia voter registration office and get a free Voter Photo ID — including on election day! If you have none of these and no means to get to a registration office, you will be allowed to vote on a provisional ballot. However, these are not counted on Election Day and you will be required to present an acceptable form of Photo ID to your local Electoral Board between the day after Election day to noon on the Friday after Election day or your ballot will not be counted.

Deadlines

October 15th is the last day to update your address or register to vote in the midterm elections. If you’ve moved — college, baby! –since you registered or last updated your address, then your polling place will change. If the address on your ID does not match the polling place you go to, then you will be unable to cast your ballot! October 30th at 5:00 p.m. is the last opportunity to request an absentee ballot in Virginia, but make sure that you know the deadline of your state! In Virginia, absentee ballots must be mailed by specific dates listed on the website in order for the Department of Elections to receive and count your vote. If you’re voting in person, go to your polling place on November 6th between 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. If you do not go to the correct polling place and are given a provisional ballot, your vote will not be counted. When selecting your time to vote, remember that normal lunch hours are going to be the busiest times, so consider planning to go before or after classes end, rather than during lunch.

Know your rights

It’s extremely important to walk into the polling place educated and knowledgeable about your rights as a voter. You are legally allowed to vote if you’ve been registered at your current address for 22 days, and you’re eligible to register if you are a US citizen and will be 18 by the day of the upcoming election. If you’re not 18 at the 22 day deadline to register, but you will be by election day then you’re eligible to register! If you haven’t yet registered to vote, Mason Votes has been holding voter registration drives on camps, and you also have the option to print and mail a copy of the National Voter Registration form from the Virginia Department of Elections or register in person at your local election office. Additionally, if you have not cast your ballot by 7:00 p.m. on election day, but you are in line at that point, then you are legally allowed to vote. If you have any confusion about the correct way to fill out your ballot, then you are allowed to approach an election officer to ask for help, and if you feel you’ve made a mistake in filling it out then you are legally allowed to request another ballot. For voters with disabilities, you have the option to request an absentee ballot to either be mailed back or picked up from you in person, and there are accessible voting systems at every polling place. Voters with visual impairments have the right to assistance with both reading and filling out their ballot from either an election official or a personal helper.

It’s never been more imperative to cast your ballot and use your voice, regardless of your place on the political spectrum, Don’t let your voice go on unheard for missing a deadline or not knowing your polling place.

Chloe Fischer

George Mason University '22

Chloe is majoring in Government and International Politics at George Mason University. She is currently the President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at George Mason University. Outside of Her Campus, she is also a founding member and the secretary of Ignite GMU, her university's chapter of Ignite, a nonprofit organization dedicated to empowering young women to declare their ambition and ignite their political power.
Courtney Boone

George Mason University '18

Courtney is a senior at George Mason University studying forensic psychology and criminology. She serves as Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus George Mason and is also a Her Campus National Chapter Advisor. She graduates in December of 2018 and will be starting her Master's in Criminal Justice this spring at Mason. The motto she lives by: "Put your hair up in a bun, drink some coffee and handle it."