This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

One would think that moving cross-country to attend college would be a harrowing task, it could be hard to get involved and make a name for yourself someplace you definitely do not know anyone. Not for Erik Truong, a junior Government and International Politics major. Truong made the move two years ago to become a Patriot all the way from Portland, Oregon and he is already making waves in the Mason community. He has just announced his campaign as Student Body Vice President, alongside his running mate, Bekah Pettine for Student Body President.  

What began this partnership between you and Bekah Pettine, your running mate?

Bekah and I ran against each other last year! After that election ended, we went to grab coffee to talk about our differences. We figured out we had a lot more in common than we originally thought, and both wanted the best for the University and its rich student body. We both have had incredible experiences at Mason, and we want to leave it even better than when we found it.

What issues are most important to you, on and off campus?

The most prominent issue to address at Mason is representation and inclusion. There’s a learning opportunity with the people you sit next to and talk to every single class that we often take for granted. Student Government also faces similar issues. SG is too often isolated from the community to truly understand its issues and how to best serve its students. What our administration wants to do is not only have representation for the communities, but let them use their own voice to represent themselves. There is nothing more powerful than getting a first-hand perspective and understanding the stories that make up a Mason student. We’d like to build relationships with organizations and communities now, so we can open dialogue and solve problems before they arise. We’d also like to take on transparency issues and overall affordability of Mason services (i.e. tuition, textbooks, etc). Working in the Office of Student Media gave me a fresh perspective in understanding what students want.

What is your biggest career goal?

I’d love to be a speechwriter or work in policy. I love the connection between politics and communication. I’m always motivated knowing that I’m fighting for my values and working toward progress. My heart’s set on public service, even though the prospects of paying off my student debt may not be.  

Why should Mason students vote for you as their next Student Body Vice President?

From our time at Mason, Bekah and I have gained knowledge inside and outside of student government. Through that experience combined with our passion, we feel we have a solid foundation to genuinely represent the 35,000 Patriots, and know the process to get things done. We see the potential that Mason has, and we want to make sure we can live up to it. We’re ambitious people, and we’re ready to fight for the values of the Mason Nation.

If you’re interested in learning more about the PettineTruong campaign, visit https://www.pettinetruong2018.com/ and don’t forget to vote for your candidate March 26-30 on www.getconnected.gmu.edu.

Alexis Whitted

George Mason University '18

Alexis is a senior communication major at George Mason University currently interning at NBC News and a strong advocate for living a plant-based lifestyle. She can often be found in the gym working on her fitness or dreaming of her next getaway on Google Flights.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com