you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

The Best Ways to Prepare for an Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Whether your interview is for an unpaid or paid internship or for a job opportunity, it is important to look your best and present yourself knowledgeable in the best way possible. Leaving a good impression on your employers is important if you want to secure future job with them or another company similar. First impressions always matter, so here are a few ways to best prepare yourself for any interview!

1. Dress to impress!

The way you dress says more about you than you may think. The things it should say the most is that you are here to here to work. Finding an interview outfit can be stressful sometimes. Try to avoid open toed shoes and simple t-shirts. The best way to dress for an interview is just pull off the business casual. A simple pair of black slacks, a nice dress blouse, and some booties will simply do the job. Try to keep the jewelry to a minimum.

2. Keep your business to yourself

During an interview you will most likely be asked to bring up previous accounts of information from the past. It is best to avoid the bad things and the long stories. No employer wants to hear about your past drama with another coworker. Practice talking in the mirror about positive previous job experiences and once you are in the interview you will remember just that. Keep things positive and short unless they ask you to elaborate more on a specific topic.

3. Smile!

When you are talking to someone, they tend to read your facial expressions and body language. Sit tall and with good posture. Keep a small smile on your face and do not talk monotone or too peppy. Act like you want the job. A small tip I use is to mimic the employer’s expressions, it really goes helps so they feel like you are both on the same page.

4. Body modifications are a no go

Most professional businesses and institutions do not take well to body modifications. It is simple to fix that problem though. Just cover up your tattoo with a longer shirt or some makeup. If you have excessive face piercings, it may be best to take them out for the time being. Doing so will make you appear more presentable and furthermore “wantable.”

5. Punctuality and Organization

I can not stress enough how important it is to show up on time and be organized with papers or required items. Always leave the house 5-10 minutes earlier than you normally would. Anything could happen, such as traffic being bad that day or having to stop for gas because you didn’t know your tank was empty. Employers are not going to listen to any excuses so show up on time. Prepare all your required items the day before so you can avoid having to find or do them the day of.

I hope these tips help you all to have a successful interview and good luck, collegiettes!

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com