Career

7 Things I’ve Learned in my First Month as a PR Intern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

In February I started my first internship at a PR firm. Most of my college experience thus far has been focused on the journalism part of my major, so I had nearly no experience and no knowledge going into my new position as a PR intern. I also had no idea what to expect or how to prepare myself. If you plan on starting your first PR internship this summer, here are seven things I’ve learned in my first month as an intern.

1. Come Prepared Everyday 

My internship provided me with everything I needed from parking passes to notebooks and pens, but you can never be too sure. Make sure to figure out your transportation (and give it a test run before your first day!), bring pens and paper, something to eat for lunch and lots of snacks if you’re there for a long day. 

2. Get Ready to Meet A LOT of New People

On my first day, I was taken on a tour of the office and was introduced to nearly everyone that was there that day. Be prepared to learn a lot of new names and faces, and make sure you’re paying attention to everyone’s role, as they might be able to help you out with something you’re working on in the future. 

3. Always Take Notes

When you’re brand new, it seems like the other interns or employees have everything figured out and under control. In reality, it takes a while to get to that point. Be sure to take notes so you can reference things later, like meeting times, information on your client, the names of your supervisors you’re working alongside and anything else that seems relevant to you. It’ll help you down the road when you have a bank of information to look back on. 

4. Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Questions

There’s so much information being thrown at you, it’s important to figure out how to make sense of it all. Remember that everyone was in your position once, and no question is a dumb question. The people there will be happy to help you and want you to succeed. 

5. Dress the Part

While most places will definitely have a business casual (or possibly even professional) dress code, I find that my office does allow for relatively casual dress including jeans. While some days I definitely do find myself reaching for the comfiest outfit that still crosses the line of acceptable for the office, dressing the part really has an impact on how I feel about being at work and the quality of work I’m producing. When you look the part, you act the part. 

6. Be Proactive

Over your first couple of weeks, you’ll definitely feel overwhelmed and confused, which is totally normal. Once the dust has settled and you find yourself feeling more comfortable and confident in your new environment, be proactive! If you find yourself with a little bit of extra downtime, ask around if anybody needs extra help on a certain project. You can get more exciting opportunities and work experience that way than if you just stick to your assigned duties. 

7. Networking is Key

When you’re working at your internship, you’re literally surrounded by industry professionals that have climbed the same ladder you’re climbing and made it. Make an effort to connect with these people and build relationships with them that may help you out with job prospects after graduation. Add them on LinkedIn or get their personal emails and keep in touch even after your internship ends. 

When you first start your internship, it feels like you’ll be there forever. For me, time has flown by, and I can hardly believe I’m halfway done already. After all is said and done and your internship has finished, what you take away from it is key. The new things you’ve learned and the experience you gained will be invaluable to not only your resume on paper, but your capabilities as a person and as a future employee. Make the most of your time there and put your best foot forward.

Lexi Reyes

George Mason University '21

Lexi is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a double concentration in journalism and public relations. She has an interest in online journalism as well as social media, and is the social media editor for the school newspaper as well as a small business in Northern Virginia. When she's not writing, you can find her at the thrift store or in the Chick-Fil-A drive through!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com