This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

With Valentine’s Day fast approaching in all its heart-shaped glory, is there any better time to celebrate the romance genre? Although often mocked and trivialized for its feminine nature, romance is the highest-grossing genre in the book world, with the industry holding an estimated worth of 1.5 billion dollars. It’s no secret that people love romance. So, why is there still an inherent embarrassment around reading a romance novel? 

Unfortunately, there can be a sense of elitism in the reading world — what you read, how you read it and whether it has an inherent literary value. However, as an unabashed romance reader myself, I think it’s time we pushed these notions aside and gave the romance genre a little more love. So, in the spirit of Valentine’s Day, here are five romance books that I’m looking forward to reading in 2021 and that are sure to make you appreciate the power of love.

1. “A Court of Silver Flames” by Sarah J. Maas

The highly-anticipated fourth installment in Sarah J. Maas’ “A Court of Thorns and Roses” series, follows the tempestuous Nesta Archeron, a human-turned-High Fae who is still acclimating to the lush and deadly world of Prythian. In the aftermath of the war that nearly tore her continent apart, Nesta grows closer to the vexatious Cassian, a warrior from the Night Court who shares her same scars. As a brewing conflict begins to threaten their new era of peace, Nesta and Cassian must come together to face both their traumatic pasts and their uncertain futures. 

“A Court of Silver Flames” will be released on Feb. 16.

2. “Act Your Age, Eve Brown” by Talia Hibbert

The tertiary installment of Talia Hibbert’s sugary-sweet “Brown Sisters” trilogy follows Eve Brown, the youngest and ficklest of her sisters. When Eve brings accidental destruction to an expensive wedding, her parents tell her it’s time for her to finally grow up. While interviewing for a chef position at a bed and breakfast, Eve immediately clashes with the BnB’s owner, perfectionist Jacob Wayne. Forced to work together amidst their animosity, sparks begin to fly as Eve and Jacob’s contrasting personalities battle head-on at work. 

“Act Your Age, Eve Brown” will be released on Mar. 9. 

3. “Beach Read” by Emily Henry

Augustus Everett and January Andrews have approximately three things in common: 1. They both live in neighboring beach houses. 2. They are both struggling authors. And 3, they are both bogged down with severe writer’s block. Determined to overcome their creative blocks, they devise a plan: romance writer January will write a heavy-hitting literary masterpiece while morose Augustus will write a swoon-worthy romance. As their creative research brings the pair closer, they discover their summer vacation might spark something more than just creative inspiration. 

4. “Shipped” by Angie Hockman

A delightful combination of “The Hating Game” and “The Unhoneymooners,” “Shipped” follows Henley Evans, a workaholic with very little time to maintain a personal life. When she learns that she and her office nemesis, Graeme Crawford-Collins, are up for the same promotion, Henley doesn’t think matters can get any worse. That is until she learns that they will be confined together on a company cruise to the Galapagos, where they will both be drafting their competing proposals. But as the pair begin to explore the idyllic Islands together, Henley soon realizes that Graeme is nothing like the man she villainized in her head. Caught between her dream promotion and her growing feelings, Henley must make a choice that will change the course of her future forever.

5. “The Ex Talk” by Rachel Lynn Solomon

When Shay Goldstein’s struggling Seattle public radio station desperately needs a new show to increase their listeners, Shay proposes co-hosting with her colleague and rival, Dominic Yun. Knowing that their clashing personalities will make for riveting radio, the two begin co-hosting “The Ex Talk,” posing as two exes who dole out relationship advice to their listeners. But as the show reaches unexpected levels of popularity, Shay and Dominic struggle to maintain their lucrative charade, especially as they begin to fall for each other. 

Wishing you all a very happy and romance-filled Valentine’s Day, collegiettes!

Marissa Joyce

George Mason University '22

Marissa is currently a senior at George Mason University and serves as Senior Editor of George Mason's Her Campus chapter. At Mason, she is pursuing a double major in English and Communication. When Marissa isn't writing articles, she can be found over-caffeinated, tackling her extensive library of books, or curating her vinyl record collection.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com