brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

We live next door to one of the greatest cities in the world, Washington D.C. Besides visiting museums, the Library of Congress, the National Mall and all of the toursity sites, you have to do something else while in the city for the day. 

You have to brunch.

Brunch is essential to any Northern VA or D.C. native! Now that the weather is starting to warm up, brunching is a great weekend activity with your girlfriends. Not sure where to eat? We’ve got a list ( in no particular order) with an array of price ranges, why we think they’re worth visiting and a few favorite menu options.

1. Jaleo

480 7th Street NW Washington, DC 20004

https://www.jaleo.com/location/washington-dc/

Phone: (202) 628-7949

Located at Penn’s Quarter right by the International Spy Museum and Ford’s Theatre, Jaleo is a Tapas restaurant that offers Spanish cuisine with a unique and boujee twist in a colorful atmosphere.

Via Pinterest

Menu items include Huevos estrellados (Traditional mix of fried potatoes and organic free range fried eggs ), Torrijas con plátano caramelizado y espuma de ron (Sweet-soaked spanish toast with caramelized bananas and rum whipped cream) and Jaleo Classics (a tasting of the classic brunch tapas). As well as the Brunch-must-have, Mimosas.Via @Jaleo on Twitter

Brunch hours are Sat & Sun 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Prices range here on average $10 a plate, which is not bad at all considering it’s in D.C.

2. Alta Strada

465 K Street NW Washington, DC 20001

https://www.altastradarestaurant.com/washington-dc

202-629-4662

An Italian makeover for your Brunch plans. Located only a few blocks from Chinatown, Alta Strada brings Italy to you with pasta dishes from Tuscany, Milan and the Amalfi coast and bottomless mimosas all in a family and “When you’re here your home” atmosphere.   Via @altastradarestaurant on Instagram

Weekend brunch starts from 11a.m. and goes until 3 p.m. Menu choices include Bottomless Mimosas and Bellinis for $22 a person and pizzas like the A.S. Margherita Pizza and Caramelized Onion Pizza. Most importantly, pasta options include Homemade Spaghetti Carbonara, Tagliatelle, and Spaghetti on the menu. The best part? Every entree is $12.95.

Via @altastradarestaurant on Instagram

3. District Commons

2200 Pennsylvania Ave NW Washington, DC 20037

http://www.districtcommonsdc.com

202-587-8277

If you are more into the more local cuisine, then District Commons is the place for you. Located less than a 5 minute walk from the Foggy Bottom station, this hearty American style cuisine uses local and fresh ingredients to make all their meals and bakes their bread inside the restaurant. Nothing feels more American than that!Via Dc.Eater

The Brunch menu is chalk full full of options from Eggs Benedict to Huevos Rancheros and even seafood options on the From the Raw Bar menu. There are also pretzels so satisfy your early morning sweet tooth.  Prices range here from around $10 to $18 depending on what you order but the bottomless Mimosas or Bloody Marys Brunch is $16 with  purchase of an entree.

Via Thrillist

4. MadHatter

1319 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington DC 20036

http://www.madhatterdc.com/

202-833-1495

One of the most popular choices is MadHatter, a restaurant that has been in DC for more than 30 years. A restaurant with an Alice and Wonderland theme and aesthetic to remind us that there’s a little madness in all of us. Located on the busy street of Connecticut ave, it does not get anymore DC than this.Via Clubzone

The Brunch menu consists of the usual Eggs Benedict, Steak and Eggs, Fried Chicken Waffles and even a Hangover Helper,  described as “A Madhatter brunch specialty. Biscuits, scrambled eggs, home fries, shredded cheddar cheese, choice of meat, topped with sausage gravy.”  One of the specials on this menu is A Madman’s Breakfast.  “The whole package…2 eggs your way, choice of meat and toast, served with 2 buttermilk pancakes and home fries.”  Prices range here from $9 to $17.

Via Yelp

5. Farmers and Distillers

600 Massachusetts Ave NW Washington, D.C. 20001

https://farmersanddistillers.com/

(202) 464-3001

Farmers and Distillers is a restaurant working toward transforming the food industry and taking it back to homemade food. Everything at this restaurant is fresh and local. Even the drinks are brewed inside the restaurant! Farmers and Distillers is just within walking distance from Capital One Arena and Chinatown.Via Madeinthedistrictus

Their weekend buffet brunch menu consists of any classic American breakfast: eggs, bacon and sausage. The brunch even has a Chinese influence due to the location with options like dim sum and stir fry. It’s all you can eat and $32 per person. Via yelp

There you have it! Now go out and brunch like never have before!

Via Giphy

Salma Hamze

George Mason University '20

Salma is a senior at George Mason currently studying Communication with a double concentration in Public Relations and Media Criticism and Production with a minor in Journalism. Family, friends and food are some of her top priorities; along with music, film and books. Reading sparked an interest in not only writing fiction but real world topics as well. She hopes to work in Public Relations and be able to travel the world one day. She is also a sister of Alpha Xi Delta here on campus.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com