This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Winter is here, which means it’s time to curl up under the blankets with something warm to drink and Netflix on your lap. Regardless, if you’re doing this alone or with friends or that special someone, you want a movie that will make you feel just as warm inside as you feel on the outside. Here are five of my favorite romance movies that will give you that warm and fuzzy feeling this winter.

1. Love Actually

An important staple to the holiday season since 2003, follows the stories of multiple people in some kind of love around Christmas. There is a love story for everyone to connect with or be rooting for, so this is definitely one for a girl’s night in. It also features one of the greatest romantic chase scenes ever and it’s given to the ten year old, which honestly probably makes it even better. Almost any famous British person you can think of is probably in this film. I recommend watching it on anything but on TV because they cut out one of the cutest plots completely for TV editing purposes. It’s available on Netflix at the moment and always is around this time so watch it while you can because they take it away.

2. Bridget Jones’s Diary

Every girl has probably related to Bridget at least once in their life and if you haven’t, you’ve probably never watched the movie. The movie is a refreshingly honest story of a woman in her thirties trying to juggle her love life (or lack of), work, friends, and a mother that wants to know when you’ll find someone and settle down. Bridget’s awkward encounters in every part of your life will be sure to make you laugh and her struggles with romance will gave you faith in your own love life.

3. The Decoy Bride

A charming and not well known movie about a woman who has to go back home to a small Scottish island after her writing career and engagement go south. To add insult to injury the last available man on the island has just gotten married so Katie has absolutely no prospects for love at home. Joining her on the island will be a famous actress who just wants a quite marriage ceremony with her writer fiancé in the castle that inspired his novel. More trouble ensues when it’s found out he has never actually been to the island and the paparazzi still follows. When the actress panics and runs away, her staff have to find a stand in bride and unfortunately Katie gets recruited to help. The movie is adorable and immensely predictable but it leaves you feeling fulfilled.

4.  Pride and Prejudice

Specifically the 2005 version with Kiera Knightly as Lizzie Bennet. This story is such a classic and one of my personal favorites. The love story of headstrong Lizzie Bennet and the arrogant Fitzwilliam Darcy is a compelling one. There is just something so satisfying about a love story that starts with two people hating each other for silly reasons and then falling in love and honestly not knowing how to deal with it. This is also the basis for Bridget Jones Diary as well so why not see how it got started.

5. Much Ado About Nothing

Another story about hate turning into love. Shakespeare’s comedy about love, evil plots, and mistaken identity is one that will make you laugh till you cry. This movie also has one of the most start studded casts I’ve ever seen. Emma Thompson, Keanu Reeves, Denzel Washington, Kate Beckinsale, and Michael Keaton are all in this film. This movie is so good that I can overlook the fact that Kenneth Branagh, the bane of my existence, is both the director and the leading man. Seriously, ask anyone I know and they can tell you how much I hate him. If I can give it a glowing review with him being involved you’ll probably like it too.

Photo Credits: Universal Studios, Miramax, Isle of Man Film, Focus Features, American Playhouse Theatrical Films           

Katie Schrum

George Mason University

Writer for the George Mason University chapter of Her Campus. Junior English Major.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com