photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

What to Be Thankful for This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Exams. Long work shifts. Group projects. Endless nights studying in the Johnson Center.

November can easily be one of the most stressful months of the collegiate school years. Professors pile on assignments and tests before Thanksgiving break, so while you’re locked away, pouring over study guides and textbooks, you’re really focused on one thing: the freedom. The freedom to have just a short break to get away from all the stress for just a few days, and spend valuable time with friends and family over far too much turkey.

But amidst the stress that accumulates in the beginning of the semester from the work overload, we forget to really step back, and have appreciation for the things in life that truly need to be thankful for. Joseph B. Wirthlin once said, “The more often we see the things around us-even the beautiful and wonderful things- the more they become invisible to us. That is why we often take for granted the beauty of this world: the flowers, the trees, the birds, the clouds- even those we love. Because we see things so often, we see them less and less.”

Be thankful for family.

We are all where we are today because of our parents, and they’re belief in us. Though they may get a tad bit annoying, we hopefully have taken their lessons and are applying them to ourselves. Whether you live at home and commute, or you are thousands of miles away to attend college, you often forget to be truly thankful for the sacrifices they have made for you to pursue your dreams.

Be thankful for laughter.

Laughter is a gift which can bring great joy. Be thankful for the laughter in great memories that friends and families can bring you, to bring happiness in the midst of exams and stress.

Be thankful for friends

Great friends motivate us, encourage us and push us to do better. It is so important that we take the time to call them, and thank them for all the great things they have done, whether that is a swipe for food in the Johnson Center when you’ve been studying all day or a simple smile or hug when you’re feeling glum. The friends you make in college will be some of your greatest and whom you will share some incredible memories. Be thankful for all of them.

Be thankful for a an opportunity for an education.

An education is a great blessing, whether or not we fully understand admist the stress. There are SO many who don’t have the opportunity to continue pursuing an education for a number of reasons and we have the opportunity to attend an university that provides us with an amazing education and incredible opportunities. So while walking to an exam or back from class, look around, and say thank you for the opportunity to continue pursuing your dreams.

Be thankful for your health.

There are so many people that may not be as fortunate to be in good health. Take time to appreciate the health you do have, and the opportunities you have because of this, because so many will not be able to experience what you do, or bask in the opportunities you do.

And lastly, be thankful for the small things.

A full tube of toothpaste, a prime spot in Rap Deck, random acts of kindness, perfectly separating an Oreo, and stapling a finished essay. In life, we focus on the big things, and often forget to stop and appreciate the world around us. It truly is amazing just how quickly life flashes us by, and if we were thankful for small things, such as: getting $2 off a Pick-2 at Panera, the smell of rain on pavement, or getting a table by the window on the second floor of the Johnson Center that overlooks the trees or statue, we would truly see how the small blessings in life can have the biggest impacts if we stop and truly realize our thanks for them.

Life in college can seem hectic, and overwhelming, but it is so important that as collegiettes, we take a few moments to be thankful of the things that have a true impact on our lives. 

Savannah Behrmann

George Mason University

I am a sophomore at George Mason, studying Communications with a concentration in journalism. My main campus involvements include being a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi International sorority, Mason Ambassadors, and contributing to both Mason Cable News and The Fourth Estate as a reporter. I hold a current internship in the Admissions Office, working specifically for the Washington Scholars Program. After interning for the Washington Journalism and Media Conference this past summer, I realized that journalism was absolutely what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. I'm excited for my time at George Mason and to continue adventuring the DC area! You can catch me at Starbucks.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com