Style

Trends From New York Fashion Week that Will Not Be Ignored

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s that time of the year folks, New York Fashion Week! The semi-annual event took place between September 5-13th in New York to showcase the spring 2020 looks to the general public. Everyone is eager to check out what the public will be wearing come spring season. Here are some of the biggest trends that were noticed in women’s wear. 

Suits

The biggest overarching trend out of all the designers is suits. Marc Jacobs, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren just to name a few were on board for suits. A statement of power. 

Ralph Lauren used a cinematic classic style of suits for his pieces, sticking to black, white and grays. The runway was created to inspire a 1920s ballroom or nickelodeon, keeping the Hollywood-esque atmosphere that matched the tuxedo-inspired pieces. Gigi and Bella Hadid were both models for the American designer with a special surprise from Janelle Monae who performed. Check out all the looks here 

Via Vogue

Michael Kors used a similar classic style, sticking to neutrals, blues and reds with the occasional bright color for suits. He embraced a nostalgic essence while still showing off a spark of creativity in his suit pieces. His pieces were inspired by the 40s and Early WWII era when women first started going to work, he embraced femininity, strength and resilience of women in one collection. He used some of the colors used were also common across the board this September, millennial purple, yellow and green. Check out all the looks here.

Via Vogue 

Tommy Hilfiger x Zendaya is probably the most talked-about collections and not just due to Zendaya’s popularity. The entire runway gave a 1950s Cuban feel complete with cars and people playing instruments. Not only was it a creative runway design, but the runway was also filled with diverse models of color and size. Zendaya is an advocate for more diversity on the runway, she made it happen with Tommy Hilfiger at this year’s Fashion Week. 

Via Vogue

The suits were classic black three-piece suits complete with an array or wide brim and newspaper boy hats, giving effortless chic a whole new meaning. The collection paid homage to the 70s era, when coincidentally Tommy started his career. Check out all the looks here 

Statement Sleeves

There was something up each designer’s sleeve for this season. Peplum, longer sleeves, designs on the sleeves, bows, beads… any way to style up a sleeve, it was used. 

Oscar De La Renta’s team created a collection inspired by the late designer’s native country of the Dominican Republic. Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia, the creative directors for the luxury brand made the collection to be short chiffon, linen dresses that brought the House back to its Dominican Roots. 

Most of the pieces have wide flowy sleeves that catch the eye. The fabric either embellished with beads and fringe or with a distinct pattern that sets itself apart from the overall garment. Check out all the looks here.

Via Vogue

Michael Kors didn’t just give us “We Can Do It” nostalgia, he gave life and volume to his collection. The suit jacket had enough peplum sleeve to add to the piece but not take away from the original aesthetic and era of the clothing. Blazers and suits were decorated with ruffles and peplum adding excitement, especially to the polka dot patterned pieces. 

Via Vogue

Carolina Herrera’s Wes Gordon stayed true to the House’s aesthetics with a massive garden for the runway decor. Floral was also a theme within the collection itself. Taking simple white tops, matching them with long flowy skirts and a belt to tie the whole outfit together. The simplicity of the white tops did not stop him from giving them life. The sleeves with elbow length and wide, giving a balance to the floral skirt. The collection brought back 50s dresses in a much more tasteful way. Puffed up sleeves also made an appearance in some of the shorter dresses as well, giving an almost peplum sleeve look. Check out all the looks here. 

Via Vogue

Long coats

Even though it’s not a fall collection, the runway did not skip such a fall statement for spring.

Elie Tahari, known for professional wear decided to switch it up a bit with his coats. He kept the same style of beige trench coat that Burberry coin the 40s and added a fun colored fabric into the lining of the coat.  Tahari brought back the 70s with this collection with a mixture of coats and fun prints, reminding us of the bright colors in spring.  Check out all the looks here.

Via Vogue

Although Jacquemus had their spring 2020 collection showcased in June in Paris, with a pink carpet surrounded by lavender. Simon Porte Jacquemes did not miss out on the coat trend (and the tiny bag trend). His long coats were styled with summery outfits pieces like linen shorts and thin tank tops or bodysuits, mixing up casual and business. Check out all the looks here.

Via Vogue 

Tommy x Zendaya didn’t just go for suits, they really brought back the 70s with their coats. They added belts and checkered patterns to balance out the leather of some of the other pieces. Channeling the 70s was a tribute to Zendaya’s grandmother, the collection is very personal to her. 

Via Vogue

Salma Hamze

George Mason University '20

Salma is a senior at George Mason currently studying Communication with a double concentration in Public Relations and Media Criticism and Production with a minor in Journalism. Family, friends and food are some of her top priorities; along with music, film and books. Reading sparked an interest in not only writing fiction but real world topics as well. She hopes to work in Public Relations and be able to travel the world one day. She is also a sister of Alpha Xi Delta here on campus.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com