yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Via George Mason University; Edited By Hannah Mitchell

Let’s be honest, Fairfax is basically a ghost town on a good day. However, who knew that in our boring little suburbia lurked some dark secrets? No better way to transform from a summer flower child to everyone’s favorite halloween goth this October than with these ~haunted~ places hidden right around us!

5. A Stomach Curdling Meal

Via Unigo; Edited By Hannah Mitchell

This legend has little to do with the paranormal but makes our stomachs turn nonetheless. Back before The Commons was *graced* with Southside, the main dining hall, Ciao Hall, stood in The Hub. Apparently students would eat here and then suffer from intense gastrointestinal pain and stomach issues. Many began to believe that they were purposefully being served rotten food or that their meals were laced with ‘supplements’ (Broadside Online). This is a nightmare born straight from everyone’s childhood favorite The Bailey School Kids novels.

4. The Hashslinging Slasher

Via Graycon Building Group; Edited By Hannah Mitchell

Ok, this story actually has nothing to do with an underwater murderer; however, it does involve one gruesome resturant death. 9959 Main St. Fairfax has seen many a restaurant over the years; however, this location’s constant rotation of businesses may have started with Carlos O’Kelley’s. Legend has it that a long-time dishwasher, Billy, desperately hanged himself in the upstairs dining room after his girlfriend broke up with him. The manager tried to cover up the gruesome secret that surrounded customers as they ate by claiming Billy was in a fatal car accident (The Gazette). But the truth always comes out, doesn’t it? Before Carlos O’Kelley’s closed their doors for good, uneasy things would happen in the dark; glasses would fly off shelves and voices could be heard upstairs. Since then this location has seen three different restaurants and now sits empty… we can only wonder why.

Via Virginia Haunted Houses, Haunted Places

Related: What You Should Be For Halloween Based On Your Major

3. Mason Pond’s Floating Man

Via Zippia; Edited By Hannah Mitchell

As the tale goes, one evening an unfortunate young man met his demise in the Mason Pond. However, that isn’t where the uneasiness stops, the next morning two young women found his body sitting upright in the gazebo lining the pond (Virginia Haunted Houses). Legend has it that his body can still be seen in the gazebo luring women to come sit with him. But beware, if you are beckoned by a young man to come join him by the pond that he may just disappear before you sit down (The Gazette).

Related: 7 Ways to Get Spooky in NOVA This Fall

2. Old Man Johnson

Via Wall Devil; Edited By Hannah Mitchell

In the 1970’s there was a couple, The Johnsons. One fateful night Mr. Johnson discovered his wife having an affair in his very own bed (Virginia Haunted Houses). Distraught, Johnson went out rowing and never returned. It is speculated that he could have drown himself or rowed clear over the Occoquan dam (The Gazette). The Women’s Crew team has had more than one encounter with Old Man Johnson’s ghost during early morning practices. They say his presence can be seen at the dock, on the water, or even running amuck among the team.

Related: 17 Movies That Will Get You In Your Fall Feels

1. Bunny Man Bridge

Via Roadtrippers; Edited By Hannah Mitchell

We definitely left the best for last. It’s almost impossible to go to Mason and not have heard of “Bunny Man Bridge”. There are so many stories surrounding this place; however, only one of them has not been debunked. The origin of this story was in the 1800s when a man went out to hunt for his family and returned to the gruesome scene of his wife and children’s mutilated bodies. The man contacted the authorities but no other suspects were found. The man was sent to an asylum on the grounds that he could possibly be the killer. But, that in fact, his time there created a murderer. Once escaped, the man took residence under the infamous bridge, hunting the bunnies in the area for food and clothing. Shortly after his escape, many children of Clifton, VA went missing. When the authorities arrived on the scene, the children’s dismembered bodies hung from the trees as they witnessed The Bunny Man jump in front of a moving train passing over the bridge. Many say that on a dark night you can still see the hanging body parts swaying in the wind and hear The Bunny Man’s maniacal laughter (Virginia Haunted Houses).

Well students, have fun walking to class or wandering around town! But beware, you may be in for a scare!

Hannah Mitchell

George Mason University

I'm an junior English major at George Mason University! I am an active sister of Alpha Omicron Pi and love every aspect of my college expierence (even the long nights at the library ;) ). I'm a pro at crafting, love knitting, reading, karaoke, and big city adventuring!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com