Street art critiquing social media
Street art critiquing social media
Daria Nepriakhina, via Unsplash
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Over the last few years, social media has become a crucial part of peoples’ day. I’m sure one of the first things people do when they wake up is to check their phone. I’m guilty of doing it too, no one’s perfect.

But over the years, I’ve seen a change in social media, and often times it’s not good. Social media sites, like Instagram and Twitter, have become toxic places where people criticize and judge others for posting their opinions. And unfortunately, it’s not the sites themselves that have caused issues, but the people using said sites. 

People have become obsessed with popularity and posting things online that will get them likes. I see people posting very intimate details about their personal life for all of the world to see and judge them on. Strangers think they know a person just because of the persona they put online. It’s… weird. 

Taking a break from social media isn’t a bad thing. Even if you don’t post anything, just staying offline and not constantly checking your accounts is a refreshing feeling. You’re not worried about what your cousin’s best friend’s sister posted on her Instagram, but you’re focused on finishing the book that’s been sitting on your shelf for months, maybe even years. 

You’ll feel so much better after taking a social media hiatus. You won’t feel stressed or pressured to post an Instagram picture or else you lose followers. You won’t get judgement and weird comments from total strangers about what you decide to do with your life. 

Not everything that happens requires a post. I learned that the hard way. When you post details about your life, people will comment and judge you on those things. Sure you can say it’s none of their business, but if it’s posted online for everyone to see, isn’t it their business?

I’m a firm believer in making power moves quietly. The only people that will know when major life changes happen, will be the ones close to me. I of course still occasionally post something like a picture of my dog or if I’ve traveled somewhere. But when it comes to my career and my relationships, I make sure I keep those aspects of my life as private as possible. 

Save yourself the stress and pressure and just take a break from social media. Even if it’s just for a day and just see how different and more in tune with the world you’ll actually feel.

Jackie Lorincz

George Mason University '19

Hi! I’m Jackie, a senior majoring in Environmental science. I’m also an active sister of Gamma Phi Beta Sorority. Writing has always been a hobby of mine and I’m excited for you to read my work! In my free time I love to read and bake, and I’m a huge animal lover, especially dogs!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com