This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Spring in DC is truly something else. With cherry blossoms surrounding you and a hint of summer air, spring in the capitol is incredible.

Here is a list of some of the best things to do in DC during spring:

Cherry Blossom Festival:

Perhaps the most popular festival of the city, the Cherry Blossom Festival, which commemorates the gift of 3,000 cherry trees from Mayor Yukio Ozaki of Tokyo to the city of Washington, DC in 1912.

The best time to see the blossoms are March 20-April 17.

(Photo credit to CNN)

Kayaking or Paddle Boarding on the Potomac:

You can spend an afternoon kayaking or paddle boarding on the Potomac, enjoying the beautiful views of Georgetown and the monuments!

White House Easter Egg Roll:

This annual family event invites kids of all ages to race and hunt Easter Eggs on the White House Lawn while enjoying a visit with the Easter Bunny!

Earth Day Concert:

It is very cool to participate in the annual fight for a clean environment in the heart of the nation. The DC area has a variety of Earth Day activities, including my personal favorite, the Earth Day Concert, which is held on Global Citizen Earth Day!

Last year, the concert was held on April 18th.

Passport DC:

DC’s embassies open their doors to the public during a two week event called Passport DC! Passport DC is a new annual celebration of the international culture in DC and is presented by Cultural Tourism DC.

There will be talks, tours, performances, and exhibits. All happening in May!

We are so lucky to live so close to one of the nation’s most vibrant cities, full of a bustling lifestyle, never ending opportunities, and amazing experiences! 

Savannah Behrmann

George Mason University

I am a sophomore at George Mason, studying Communications with a concentration in journalism. My main campus involvements include being a sister of Alpha Omicron Pi International sorority, Mason Ambassadors, and contributing to both Mason Cable News and The Fourth Estate as a reporter. I hold a current internship in the Admissions Office, working specifically for the Washington Scholars Program. After interning for the Washington Journalism and Media Conference this past summer, I realized that journalism was absolutely what I wanted to spend the rest of my life doing. I'm excited for my time at George Mason and to continue adventuring the DC area! You can catch me at Starbucks.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com