This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

When most people think of spring break, bikinis, beaches and day drinking come to mind. For those lucky collegiettes venturing to hot spots like Panama City and Miami, have fun and don’t Instagram too many pictures, because the rest of us are infinitely jealous. Planning a trip for spring break isn’t always an option, and although going back home might sound worse than taking all of your midterms over again (okay, maybe not), it is still a break! If your spring break plans currently consist of a whole lot of nothing, read on for the perfect spring break staycation!

Self Tan

If there’s one thing from a spring break trip that I could package in a bottle and take home with me, it’s a tan. Oh wait, that exists! Rather than wasting away on the couch, take some time out to apply a self-tanner to imitate that golden glow you’re missing out on. The best part is that you won’t be exposing your skin to those harsh UV rays. By the time you get back to campus, passersby might think you just got back from an amazing spring break in Cancun (shhh, they don’t have to know).

Explore Your Area

Trips home for school breaks are usually spent the same way. Rather than spending your break at the same local haunts you’ve been going to since your sophomore year of high school, take this opportunity to get to know your hometown in a new way. Whether it’s a day trip to a neighboring city or checking out those cute boutiques you always look at but never actually visit, this is the perfect time to explore what your area has to offer. Spring break is fun because it’s all about having new experiences, and you don’t have to journey to Florida to have them.

Swap Out Winter Clothes

One silver lining of going home instead of going straight to a spring break destination is that you’ll have the chance to swap out winter clothes for your spring wardrobe. Take this time to bring home the bulky coats and tall boots that have been taking up precious closet space. Keep a few sweaters and a jacket on hand just in case those last few weeks of winter decide to rear its ugly head. Something about spring clothes just puts me in a good mood, and revamping your wardrobe to fit the season can help take you out of your winter rut.

Take Care of Business

Homework is probably the last thing on your mind during spring break. Instead of wasting your time studying for those after break exams (why, professors, why?!), take this free time to deal with the tasks you’ve been blowing off all semester. Revamp your resume for that summer internship you’ll be applying for, or schedule that appointment you missed the last time you were home. These tasks may seem boring with a capital B, but these are the things that stress you out when you’re at school. Dealing with them now will clear your schedule up and help you focus on more important things when you get back to school.

Get Your Hair Done

The Monday following spring break is usually filled with all the exciting stories people have from their adventures. If the most exciting thing you did while home for break was taking your dog for a walk, you’ll probably spend that Monday oohing and aahing about the things everyone else did. If you want to steal the spotlight, even for a minute, that Monday can be the perfect debut moment of a new do! Getting your hair done over break means you get to visit your favorite hometown stylist, and it gives you a chance to play around with styles before you get back to school. Try face framing highlights to play up your new faux glow or go for a big chop like supermodel Karlie Kloss. Either way, your new look will garner just enough attention to deflect from an otherwise boring break.

Even though you’re probably kicking yourself in the head for not planning a super awesome trip, your spring break isn’t a bust yet. Try to make the most of your break, even if it isn’t desirable. And if none of my staycation ideas tickle your fancy, see your break for what it is; a much needed separation from you, your homework and your loud roommates.

Jordan Fontenot

George Mason University

Jordan Fontenot is a senior at George Mason University and is a Communication major with a concentration in Public Relations and a double minor in Business and Tourism and Events Management. When she's not busy with school, working at a local boutique, or writing for Her Campus, she loves to work out at the campus gyms or go shopping with her friends. Jordan is obsessed with Harry Potter, chai tea lattes, and New Girl.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com