timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

One and Two Credit Classes To Take During Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Do you have an extra class available this spring? Do you need one or two credits to fill your schedule? Well look no further than here for some fun (and easy) classes that you can take at Mason.

RECR 108- Self Defense

Via ISO Republic

I took a self-defense class at Mason fall semester of my sophomore year. This class is fairly easy and it’s one credit for half a semester or two credits for the entire semester. It meets once a week and it’s a good way to learn some basic self-defense as well as get a little bit of exercise in to your day. They also offer several martial arts classes including Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Karate, Krav Maga and Taekwondo

RECR 124 & 125- Horseback Riding

Photo courtesy of author

I took the horseback riding class this semester and it is easily one of my favorite classes I have ever taken at Mason. It is off-campus, but you are likely to find someone else in the class who commutes from Mason and would be willing to give you a ride if you don’t have a car. I was really nervous at first, but the professor put me at ease with getting on the horse and riding. By the end of the semester, I had started doing small jumps and a little bit of cantering. This is a really fun class! It’s one credit for half the semester or two credits for the entire semester. I highly recommend doing it.

RECR 186- Yoga

Via Stock Snap

Do classes have you stressed to the max? I have not taken this class myself, but I’ve heard really good things about the relaxing environment and chance to get a good work out during the week. For those of you who are not all that flexible, it’s supposed to be a really good way to improve your flexibility.

RECR 161- Scuba Diving

Via Pexels

Scuba diving is on my list of “things that I’ve always wanted to do but never have” because I don’t know how. Now there is the option to take a class to learn how to scuba dive and be able to get your certification at Mason. All water lovers should try this two-credit class.

RECR 181- Meditation

Via Stock Snap

If yoga won’t cut it for you and you’re prone to stress, or even if you just want to find your inner calm, consider taking a meditation class. It’s one credit and allows for you to de-stress, find your focus and learn to concentrate. A similar class that’s offered is Tai Chi.

UNIV 320- Internship/Career Readiness

Via Pexels

Interested in something a little more practical? This class will help you prepare to get an internship, nail that interview and be ready for your career. They focus on things like your resume, cover letter, interviewing skills and finding the best fit for your personality. It’s one credit and it will leave you feeling readier than ever to get that internship.

UNIV 420- College to Career

Via Stock Snap

For juniors and seniors, it’s time to begin thinking about life after college. This class prepares you to get ready for the workforce by teaching you resume/portfolio development, presentation skills, networking and interviewing strategies, real-world expectations and professional etiquette.

UNIV 421- College to Graduate

Via Stock Snap

Want to go to grad school? Consider taking this class to prepare yourself for the graduate applications, tests, research and evaluation of schools, interview strategies and plans to make grad school a financially viable option for you.

Register now for classes if you haven’t already, collegiettes! These will fill up fast!

Kaelyn Cook

George Mason University

I'm a vegetarian, a globetrotter and a very passionate bookworm. I like listening to rock music, baking, and dyeing my hair crazy colors. I've begun collecting tattoos and stories and before I die I want to kiss in the rain. I love to dance (very badly, I might add), sing in the shower and stare at the stars. I live in my own little world and sometimes I get lost there. It's a good place to be.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com