This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Colin Kaepernick has been the center of numerous sports and social justice conversations for the past two and a half years. Controversy began when Colin kneeled during the National Anthem before NFL games. Some people took this as disrespect to the National Anthem, the American Flag and the United States itself. Colin was protesting America’s treatment of police brutality, or rather, the lack thereof. People ranging from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to President Donald Trump have given their opinions on the situation. Colin Kaepernick has not had an NFL starting job or even knelt for the National Anthem in two years, but he inspired other players to follow his lead.

Earlier this month, Nike came out with a series of ads highlighting athletes at the center of conversations including Serena Williams, Colin Kaepernick and Caster Semyana. These ads, both print and digital, portrayed powerful messages of strength and perseverance. These three athletes have specifically dealt with racism, sexism and constant discrimination. Just recently, Serena Williams dealt with unfair officiating at the U.S. Open and when she spoke up about it, she was labeled “angry and ungrateful.” The new advertisements reminds customers of the great achievements of these athletes despite everything that they have faced. This entire campaign is inspiring and I personally applaud Nike for endorsing these athletes.

The newest Nike advertisements have been released concurrently with a new line of shoes inspired and designed by Colin Kaepernick. The irony that while Colin couldn’t find a job within the NFL, he found a home with the company that provides the majority of the NFL products and player gear. In retrospect, the NFL is still paying Colin Kaepernick to stand up (or kneel in this case) for what he believes in. These new Nike advertisements speak volumes about the political climate of America and even though they’re the center of controversy, they remind us of an important message:

“Believe in something. Even if it means sacrificing everything.”

Via @kaepernick7 on Twitter

Angelica Walker

George Mason University

Angelica is a Junior Communications major from Lynchburg, VA. She has a concentration in Public Relations and one day hopes to work for the NBA. She is also pursuing a double minor in Sports Communication and African and African American Studies. She is Vice President of the Black Student Alliance and is also a Mason Ambassador.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com