This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I think the best advice some can tell you as an adult is to have patience. As frustrating as that can be there is a lot of truth behind it. The cliche line “it’s like riding a bike,” is truly one of those life imitates art moments. When you first ride a bike you’re prone to wobble, fall, or even crash but with patience and consistency you eventually conquer without thinking. Growing fully into a young adult you may have learned that there may be a lot of no’s but that  in no way should deter you. One persons no is for sure another person’s yes.

Starting anything new, there is always this feeling of excitement to execute our ideas exactly how we envision them. Sometimes we realize while attempting the execution of our ideas, they don’t always go according to plan. We’ve all had those moments of mentally putting together a super cute outfit and it look like complete sh*t when we actually try it on. I’m here to share that this is completely normal, we’ve all been there. To perfect absolutely anything you must have patience. Nothing comes instantly, I know it sucks but please don’t quit whatever it is that you feel highly passionate about. 

We live in a better big world and you’ll be surprised by how many people may think just like you. There is someone in this world who could share the same exact idea as you, and if you let that idea go out of frustration that idea could be known by millions now due to that one person’s drive. Time waits for no one, so there eventually has to be a start. You can do anything you set your mind to no matter how hard or easy it is. If you ever find yourself struggling with something you’re passionate about, think of alternatives to ease your stress so you can at the end grasp what you’ve been working so hard for. I suggest listening to music, a 10 minute yoga session or even a walk for fresh air.

Related Article: Patience is a Virtue

It’s very easy to get deterred from a task but never forget why you’re doing what you’re doing. There’s a reason why Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Prince various more of these one of a kind people are one of a kind. These artists are who they are because of their hardwork and dedication. These icons did not just wake and boom become an icon and become this major inspiration for billions of people. If it’s something you really want there in some way will be a sort of wait. Think of it as waiting for your favorite food, we all know the happy dance that activates when our food is in eyesight.

Related Article:  A Life Motto You Can’t Ignore: The Three P’s

To end with yet another cliche but not cliche line, patience is a virtue. Remember, when you start something you are already a step further ahead than you were when you first started. Sometimes we all find ourselves taking that deep breath for reassurance that everything will be okay. Also keep in mind we do live in a very fast paced world, please don’t allow someone else’s timeframe of accomplishment cause you to feel any less of yourself. There is no set time for everyone, you have to find what works for you and you only. Good luck collegiettes, don’t give up you got this! 

Jalyn Green

George Mason University '22

Jalyn Green is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a minor in Film. She is a Philly native who enjoys spending time with friends, family, and dogs. She is also very passionate about music and fashion and hopes to become a creative director in the future.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com