Almonds
Almonds
Torey Walsh / Spoon

The Illustrious History of Almonds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The almond has been around for a long time. Many scholars believe that almonds, along with dates, were among the first cultivated foods, based on references in the Old Testament. Almonds pack a nutritional punch, containing a large variety of nutrients. This small nut also contains a surprisingly high amount of protein and fiber. 

The earliest varieties of almonds are believed to have originated in Iran, traveling down the Silk Road with traders to spread to Greece, Turkey and the Middle East. Domesticated almonds have been found in the historical record as far back as the Bronze Age at archaeological sites in Jordan. Notably, almond fruits have also been found during excavations of King Tutankhamen’s tomb in Egypt. In many religions, including Christianity and Judaism, almonds are revered. For example, the Hebrew bible almonds are symbolic of watchfulness and promise due to their early flowering. 

From a botanical perspective, almonds are considered stone fruits. They are closely related to cherries, plums and peaches. The ideal growing climes for the almond feature very hot summers and cool winters. In the United States, almonds are grown primarily in California, as the climate is most ideal for them there. Californian almonds are also part of the world’s largest managed pollination efforts, with about 1.4 million beehives being set up every February to pollinate the plants. 

Other leading almond producers include Spain, Iran, Morocco, Turkey, Italy and Australia. About 3 million tons of almonds are produced worldwide every year. 

There are two types of almonds: sweet and bitter. The almond you’re likely most familiar with is the sweet almond. Genetically, the sweet almond is dominant. Bitter almonds are decided by a single gene, making it a rare recessive trait. 

President Clinton is a known almond aficionado. He ate cinnamon-glazed almonds as a snack before both of his inaugurations. Tim Allen also stated that hickory-smoked almonds are his favorite snack on an episode of “The Oprah Winfrey Show” in 1997. Wow! 

As college students, you might also be interested in the urban legend that almonds can prevent hangovers. Superstitious partygoers eat handfuls of almonds before imbibing, which they believe will spare them from suffering the next day. 

The history of almonds is rich and storied, involved in the rise and fall of many civilizations. Now, we carry them in our lunch boxes as delicious snacks and bake them into our sweet treats. Almonds are also popular stock images, available rights-free from popular media libraries near you. Often, they are one of the only options for content imagery, inspiring creativity and resourcefulness in young women everywhere.

Anna Bertino

George Mason University '21

Anna is a Communication major at George Mason concentrating in Public Relations and minoring in English. She is a social media editor for the HC George Mason chapter. Anna is also the president of Mason's Equestrian Club and Show Team. When not writing or riding, she can be found drinking tea, satisfying her sweet tooth, or planning her next vacation.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com