Style > Beauty

I tried it: washing your hair once a week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

I grew up playing sports, so washing my hair every day was a common occurrence for me. It was only until I came to college and was diagnosed with severe eczema on my scalp, neck and hands that I realized washing my hair every day was no longer realistic. Here are my five tried and true items that have made the transition to washing my hair once a week easier.

1. Verb dry shampoo

This is one of the few dry shampoos I have found that doesn’t leave a gritty residue in my hair. Also, the scent is not overpowering like most dry shampoos I have tried. Don’t let the price tag scare you away; I have always found less is more with this product. Verb is also pretty frequently stocked at my local TJ Maxx at half the price.

2. Luseta shampoo and conditioner

I firmly believe that the clarifying shampoo from this brand has saved my hair. When you only wash your hair once a week, it is so important to clarify to get rid of all that buildup that has been forming all week. Luseta products are also usually heavily discounted at TJ Maxx as well.

3. Hair clips and accessories

Your hair is going to be greasy even with dry shampoo in the final days before you wash. These clips are great for a slicked-back look to hide that buildup.

4. Hair masks

Shea Moisture makes great masks for very affordable prices. These masks last me a few months or more. Especially when using heat on your hair, it is important to put moisture and care back in on wash days.

5. Satin pillowcases

Especially if you have wavy or curly hair, these pillowcases are a game changer in preventing frizziness. They also help to prevent breakage while you sleep.

I hope these tips inspire you to wash your hair less if you can, your scalp will thank you.

Blythe Dellinger

George Mason University '22

Blythe is a senior majoring in Global and Community Health with a minor in Anthropology. She often writes about topics related to physical/mental health and well-being. She is very passionate about substance use and access to healthcare and also enjoys discovering new music and food recipes. She hopes you find a little bit of yourself in her articles!