This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The world seems to have turned upside down with the unprecedented global pandemic that is COVID-19. People all over the world have lost their jobs or are forced to work and study from home. Since GMU’s classes have been moved online for the remainder of the spring and summer semesters, it’s time to get comfortable studying from home. 

For many of us, that means our childhood bedrooms or less-than-optimal apartments will have to make due as a makeshift workspace. These are some tips that have helped me stay focused and keep some sanity during the switch to online classes.

Keep your space clean

I don’t know about you, but I can NOT focus in a messy space. Taking five minutes in the morning to clean up your room or desk will help keep you motivated to get your work done. Even just making your bed every day will help you and feel accomplished (and you’ll be less likely to get back into bed). Bonus points if you light a candle or use a diffuser to set the mood for studying!

Dedicate an area

You’ve heard it before, and now you’ll hear it again: Don’t. study. on. your. bed. This is just a recipe for disaster. Even if you study on your floor, it’s better than a bed. However, if you have a desk in your room, you should definitely use it. Sitting upright and looking at your laptop will put you in the mindset that it’s time to crack down and focus. If you don’t have a desk, a lap tray like this will help give the illusion of a desk, even if you’re using it on a couch.

Limit distractions

This seems obvious, but when your webcam is off during a live lecture it’s all too tempting to just pick up your phone and scroll through Instagram. Instead, really try and listen to your professors as if you were sitting in class on campus. You can also put limits on your screentime and lock certain sites on your computer if you really lack self-control. 

Rearrange your furniture

If your childhood room is rearranged in an impractical way, rearrange it! Moving your bed off to the side will allow more room for studying and maneuvering. Having more open space will keep you from feeling cooped up in your bedroom all day. Even just redoing decorations or switching out a poster on your wall can help motivate and excite you to get your day going. A change of scenery is always a good thing!

Make it well-lit

Nothing is worse than trying to study and slowly feeling yourself start to nod off and fall asleep. If you’re studying in your bedroom, the odds you’ll feel tired are much higher than anywhere else. In order to avoid this, keep it bright! Opening your curtains up all the way and letting in natural light will do wonders for your circadian rhythm. If you don’t have a bright window, trying switching out warm-toned lightbulbs for brighter “daylight” bulbs like these you can order from Amazon (If 5000k is too bright, try using a 3000k lightbulb). This will help keep you awake and ready for a day of Zoom University.

Good luck with online classes, collegiettes. You’ve got this.

Sarah Larios

George Mason University '21

Sarah is a Senior at George Mason University where she is majoring in Global Affairs with a concentration in Media, Communication, & Culture. She is the Editor-in-Chief and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at George Mason, previously serving as the Senior Editor and Marketing & Publicity Director. When she’s not editing articles, she can be found working as a Communications Intern, hiking in Shenandoah National Park, playing with makeup, or spending time with her husband.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com