This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

If you live in Virginia, you know how drastically the weather can change within a matter of days, and sometimes even hours. This makes it difficult to decide what to wear when you know you’ll be freezing in the morning and warm by the afternoon. Here are a few tips to help you transition your winter wardrobe for spring!

1. Ditch the knit scarves for a lighter weight alternative

Don’t get me wrong, I love my blanket scarves just as much as the next girl but as the days get warmer, they end up being way too heavy to wear on a daily basis. Try trading them in for a pastel colored lightweight scarf.

Via Unsplash

2. Trade in the dark lipsticks for a nude or light pink

While a berry colored lip looks great in the winter, it’s a bit much for the spring. One of my personal favorite nude lip colors is the Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint in the “birthday suit” shade.  Via Beauty Nine to Five

Related: How to Plan Your Best Spring Break Ever

3. Light jackets

A denim jacket is the perfect accessory to complete any spring outfit! I personally love mine because it looks great with anything from skirts to jeans. I also love that you can roll the sleeves easily to keep yourself at the ideal temperature, no matter the weather.

Via Charlotte Russe

4. Tights or leggings

Tights can be a great way to help keep your legs warm and add a pop of color to you outfit. Try layering them underneath dresses, skirts or even shorts for a fun look.

Via Unsplash

5. Don’t be afraid to layer

Layers are perfect for the transition into spring weather. One popular look to try is layering a chunky sweater over top of a flowy skirt or dress for a fun and flirty look!

Via dentelle/fleurs

Have fun with your wardrobe and happy (almost) spring, collegiettes!

Amanda Snead

George Mason University '21

Amanda is a senior at George Mason where she is majoring in Communication with a concentration in journalism and minoring in women and gender studies. She currently serves as Her Campus George Mason's president and Campus Correspondent. She has previously served as the Editor in Cheif and Senior Editor. Additionally, she worked as a Branded Content Intern for Her Campus nationally as well as a Chapter Advisor. She spends her free time writing articles, perfecting her Animal Crossing island and hanging out with her pets.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com