This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

It’s the beginning of the semester and there’s nothing to worry about. As one of my professors said today, “Everyone starts out with an A.” Oftentimes, by the end of the semester, that A has slipped and classes can be overwhelming. Many students also have jobs, internships and other commitments outside of school. Even if school is your only commitment, it can be difficult to juggle school work.

Here are a few tips and tricks to stay on task before the semester begins spiraling out of control.

Get a calendar

If you don’t have a calendar, get one. You can find cheap ones at Walmart or on Amazon. A calendar will help you plan things out in advance and keep track of what is coming up. A month-view is often helpful because you can see what you have coming up weeks in advance, such as deadlines or big events.

Get a planner

I find the best way to manage my time is to have my week laid out in front of me. You can buy planners fairly cheap or you can try your hand at making a bullet journal style planner. This can be extremely relaxing and a fun way to take control of your schedule. Try color-coding your different classes and extracurriculars to stay even more organized!

Print out your syllabi

The best way to stay ahead of the curve is to just print out the syllabus, or at the very least print out the schedule. Knowing what’s required ahead of time gives you the time to do the work and not have it come as a surprise. Make sure to highlight important deadlines and add them to your calendar or planner!

Get a whiteboard

A lot of people find a whiteboard to be a useful tool. You can plan out your schedule, write upcoming due dates and events, inspirational quotes, goals, shopping lists, to-do lists, the whole shebang. They’re inexpensive and easy to use, perfect for the busy (and broke) collegiette woman!

Utilize the library

One of the things I recommend most is utilizing the library. I still find the library to be a distracting place so I like to book a room for a few hours every week and I try to get my work done there. It’s hard to concentrate when there’s a lot of noise and distraction around you, so the library is a great place to get away from all of that. Try putting your phone away in your bag and on silent to make sure you get rid of all distractions.

Talk to your professors

You’re professors are one of your greatest resources. You’re paying for their expertise so why not use that? So many people overlook their professors, but getting to know your professors can lead to you having professional relationships, letters of recommendation and a great source of information in your college career. Make sure to check their office hours on your syllabus and plan to stop by, even if it’s just to say hello!

Good luck this semester, collegiettes! You’ve got this!

Kaelyn Cook

George Mason University

I'm a vegetarian, a globetrotter and a very passionate bookworm. I like listening to rock music, baking, and dyeing my hair crazy colors. I've begun collecting tattoos and stories and before I die I want to kiss in the rain. I love to dance (very badly, I might add), sing in the shower and stare at the stars. I live in my own little world and sometimes I get lost there. It's a good place to be.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com