This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Nothing screams cozy like a cute little plant to add to your room of choice. Everyone can use a little green in their life, why not add a plant to your headquarters? Plants are a quick fix when it comes to decor. If you’re fearful of the maintenance of plants have no fear I’m here to give you options. 

Thinking about adding some greenery to your room? Here I suggest these three low maintenance plants that are bamboo, ficus, or a money tree that you should add to your home. Bamboo is a very low maintenance plant that does prefer to be in the sun with partial shade. I suggest keeping this plant nearby your source of sunlight but not directly to the source. What’s also great about this plant is that it doesn’t need much water to survive. There’s nothing like not watering your plant enough or over watering a plant. With bamboo, you won’t necessarily encounter these issues. 

Related article: How To Successfully Start Your Journey As A Plant Parent At College

If you want you could pot your bamboo in only water as long as you keep the roots covered with water. This is a perfect indicator if you need help knowing when your bamboo needs more water. Simple, uncovered roots equals more water. I suggest watering this plant every 7-10 days if you are still unsure when to water your bamboo. If you want to add some more color and texture to your bamboo, pebbles are a nice touch to this plant. Pebbles can be found at your local Home Depot. These beautiful, tall, spiral-like growing plants can be purchased at Lowes.

Another great yet easy addition you should add to your space is a ficus. Ficus are interesting plants that grow in a way that will definitely catch your eye. These plants are slow growing so patience is key if you find yourself looking for instant growth. The ficus doesn’t need direct sunlight and should be watered at least once a week. When the top of your soil begins to dry out is a good cue that your plant needs more water. You can find this plant out in what feels like the adult version of a toy store that is Ikea.

This next plant is not only appealing to the eye but can also be a motivational plant which is the money tree. The money does need daily light but direct sunlight will result in the leaves being scorch. This plant is very low maintenance to take care of, at minimum two ice cubes once a week should do the trick. These plants are super cute and if you’re feeling humorous and want to add a little character to your money tree add a dollar bill in the pot of your money tree. Guaranteed to put a smile on someone’s face when they notice your money tree. The money tree can also be purchased at Home Depot.

Related article:The Best Low-Maintenance Houseplants for Beginners

If you’re not ready to commit to being a plant parent I totally understand. For those scared of the commitment of taking care of a plant is the exact reason why there are artificial plants. I highly recommend Target if you’re looking for artificial greenery. Who doesn’t love Target, these artificial plants are usually already put together and ready to buy. If you’re into diy and want to get creative I suggest going to a michaels or home goods to make your own green friend for your space.

I hope this helps collegiettes, good luck on finding some plants to add to your space.

Jalyn Green

George Mason University '22

Jalyn Green is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a minor in Film. She is a Philly native who enjoys spending time with friends, family, and dogs. She is also very passionate about music and fashion and hopes to become a creative director in the future.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com