This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Via The Washington Post

As college kids, we all find ourselves low on cash and desperate for money more often than not. While it may seem like a blatantly obvious solution,  getting a job can often seem tricky to those who have no idea how to go about getting one. The perfect place to start is to look for places hiring on hire-mason to apply for campus jobs or the various stores and restaurants surrounding Fairfax. Once you’ve done this, it’s time to submit your resume and prepare for your interview.

Research, research, research

This means look into the goals of the company, its values, what kind of products they sell, etc. The more you know, the more prepared you are to answer the question, “What do you know about our company?”  If you know who will be conducting the interview, look up their bio. This will help you get a feel for the kind of person they are and what personal touches you could add to your answers that will relate to them. It also helps if you know anyone that already works at where you’re applying. Ask them about what working at the company is like and what they enjoy about the office environment. Make sure you’re applying somewhere you feel comfortable. Otherwise, you’re not going to succeed in persuading employers that you’re right for the job.

Prepare for the questions

Use your research to help you prepare for the tough questions! “Why would you be a good addition to our company?” A great way to answer this is to highlight your strengths and include tidbit of information. For example, “ I noticed that the store motto is customers first, and as an outgoing people person, I won’t have a problem helping customers with whatever they need.”

Remember you’re tailoring your answers to appeal to the needs of the place you’re applying. There are also employers that ask weird, seemingly pointless questions. An actual question my friend was asked: “Which part of the bike are you?” For those, just wing it but give a good explanation for what you choose. (Personally, I’d say handlebars because it helps steer the bike, or rather the company, in the right direction)

Related: Job Interview Tips

Via Unsplash

Dress Professionally

Avoid anything that would make your parents ask, “Are you really going out of the house like that?”. Your stomach shouldn’t be showing, you shouldn’t have on too much jewelry, you should not be wearing shorts and if you opt for a skirt, make sure it isn’t too short. As frustrating as it may seem the goal is to make a good first impression.

A basic interview outfit idea is a button up blouse, preferably slacks but black leggings if you don’t have any, a blazer and either flats or heels that you can properly walk in. You can always substitute items for a nice dress, a blouse and a skirt, a statement necklace, etc as long as it looks professional. If you’re interviewing for a retail store, try to match the look of type of clothing they sell. Your outfit can also serve as a manifestation of your personality by adding touches such as a fitted blazer or patterned pants!

Via Pixabay

Manners Matter

It is always better to leave early and be early than late, especially considering Northern Virginia traffic. Remember to treat the interviewer with the same respect you would your parents. As the interview begins, smiling and asking how your interviewer’s day is going can set you apart from other applicants. Be confident throughout the interview and maintain eye contact to help make it feel like more of a conversation. If you don’t understand a question, politely ask the interviewer to rephrase or repeat it. It’s better to ask than to look foolish not knowing how to answer the question. I also recommend sending a thank you email, or even a handwritten note, to your interviewer as another way to set you apart from other applicants.

Related: How She Got There: Helen Ray of Refinery29

Be honest

Be honest with yourself and with your interviewer. If you haven’t had any experience, don’t lie and say you have because they will find out when you don’t know how to do the task at hand. Same thing with skills on resumes: if you can’t speak French fluently or use Excel proficiently, then don’t put it down.

It’s also important to be honest with yourself and the potential employer when they ask your availability. If you know you have class until 3, don’t say you can start work at 3. If you say you’re flexible but really don’t have a lot of time, it will show once hired. It is always best to be honest with your expectations up front. Often times they will ask what salary you are expecting for the job you’re interviewing for. This is where research comes in handy so you can be realistic. Do not try and ask for $15/hour when you know most people in the position are making $9/hour. If you know you won’t be happy with that salary, or you don’t want to do the tasks they expect you to do, apply for other jobs. Be honest with yourself that the job may not be right for you!Via Giphy

Don’t sweat it if you don’t get it!

Don’t try to go back and analyze every little thing you said or did! It’s hard to stay positive in the face of rejection but there are lots of other opportunities. Time to go back to step one of applying for jobs and get ready to kick ass during your next interview!

It can be hard to find a job and keep it, but it’s all part of the process. Good luck on those job interviews, collegiettes!

Jennifer Muchnikoff

George Mason University '20

Currently a Senior at George Mason University, I am a Communications Major with double concentrations in Public Relations and Journalism. When I'm not focusing on being a Staff Writer and Social Media Editor for HerCampus, I am an active member of Zeta Tau Alpha or interning at ABC7 News!
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com