free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Framingham chapter.

To look for a job you must treat it like a full-time job. You can ace interviews even with minimal skill set. I’m not saying go apply for a Senior Level position as an entry level candidate. I’m saying is it’s all about your motivation, dedication, and drive which is what a lot of employees are looking for. If you’re sending out 2 resumes a week and aren’t receiving any calls. That’s because you aren’t putting enough effort.

The way I have landed interviews is I send over 50 resumes (no cover letters they’re a waste of time) each day. Within 2-3 days I call the company and ask for the specific person who will do the interviews. Point is to talk to the person of contact and not HR. Once I am speaking to the person of contact I say: “Hi my name is Armin Asadishad and recently I applied for X position. I would like to setup an interview.” This has landed me a lot of interviews. It doesn’t work all the time, but it’s a good attempt. Don’t say you applied a specific amount of days ago.

To pass HR stay confident and professional. The way I pass HR and talk directly to the person of contact is “Hi my name is Armin Asadishad and I would like to talk to the person of contact for X position.” If HR asks “Why?” Simply say that you have a few questions. This isn’t going to work all the time, but it’s a good start and it shows you’re serious about the position.

1. Research everything about the company, the interviewer, company’s history, recent events, everything and anything can be useful. The worst interview I’ve ever had was when I was asked “Tell us about some of the company’s history.” I did not get the job. Although, everything went smoothly that one question sunk my ship.

2. Review questions the interviewer might ask. If you’re applying to a Software Developer position and they’re using C++. Review all the common and even some complex C++ questions and answers. Ask the interviewer for clarification or if you don’t know say “I’m not sure, but I will definitely look it up.” Or something. You want the interviewer to know that you like to learn and are constantly improving yourself.

3. Dress to impress. The rule of thumb for interviewing is to come with a suit. You can always take it off. It’s not a prerequisite to do so, but you want to look your best. It’s okay to ask for some water too.

4. Arrive on time at least 15 minutes before your interview. Talk to the receptionist, maintenance worker, other candidates in the lobby, everyone. This will help any anxiety you have and it’s a great practice not only for interviews but to build social skills. Remember to stay professional. Just because you had an amazing house party over the weekend doesn’t mean you should openly talk about it. Take note of the office culture. How are the coworkers communicating with each other? Even though you’re here for a job it’s equally as important that you feel comfortable with their office culture too. Be friendly and remember names. After your interview kindly thank your interviewer and receptionist. Using their name means a lot. Talk to everyone, stay professional, and smile.

5. Practice makes perfect. I practice my facial expressions, body language, I run a sample interview with myself or better yet with a friend, and even my reactions to make it sound as genuine as possible in front of a mirror. Whenever I haven’t practiced it shows in my performance. I’m either stuttering all over the place, mumbling, or I look like I don’t want to be there.

6. Confidence. Experience is the key. The more you interview the better you should be. If you follow these tips you will ace most of your interviews. Sometimes you just didn’t fit in or someone else had the skills they were looking for. Don’t let it get to you. Rejection is part of the process. Get used to it and you’ll do better next time.

7. Questions to ask the interviewer: something about a recent study, article, technology about the company or department you’re applying for. This shows you conducted your own research and you’re interested in the company. Next question can either be a follow-up of the first or “What’s the next step in the hiring process?” You don’t need 200 questions. 3 questions are enough. Make sure you DO ask what is the next step.

8. After the interview, it’s optional to thank the interviewer for their time in an email. I said optional because in my opinion thanking them after an interview is more than enough. If the interviewer told you they’re still interviewing others until the end of the week. Give them a call next week and ask for an update. You can also email the interviewer too.

Armin A

Framingham

Ever wondered what it would be like to know a breathtaking star? That's how it feels like to be around Armin. The best lyricist of our era Armin has performed on many Hip Hop stages. Almost collaborated with Underground Legends like Immortal Technique, Tech N9ne, and Canibus. Unfortunately, there was a complication with studio timing and the plans fell through, but nonetheless Armin's lyrics will make you rethink the world we live in.  Armin exercises on a regular basis. He has trained in various Martial Arts like Aikido and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. He has a Bachelor's of Science in Psychology and now pursuing a Software Engineer Certification with a prodigious 4.0 GPA.