How To Beat The Mid-Semester Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

The middle of a semester can be the harshest part of the year. Classes are in full-swing, spring break isn’t quite here, and the bitter winter turns the brief walk onto campus into an expedition. I’m known for slipping into the winter blues, retreating from social activity until midterms. However, I’ve whipped up some fun ideas, so grab a couple of friends and crawl out from the cushions in your couch. The change in pace can be exactly what you need this time of year!

Rock climb

I just recently revisited this activity after only doing it once before, and it was a ton of fun! It’s perfect this time of year because it’s indoors and a hardcore workout for anyone trying to keep their resolutions. On weekends, the staff can help if you don’t know how to climb (I definitely did not). You can go for the day without having to commit to a class. There are two locations in the area: one in both Sterling and Alexandria. My student ID got me the equipment and a pass for $15 in Alexandria, which is a very fair price for 2 ½ hours of crawling around! I suggest getting a couple of adventurous people together and see about scaling some boulders!

Paint pottery

Don’t knock it until you’ve tried it! I went over Christmas break with two friends and made my own Mason mug! It was about as expensive as a regular mug from the bookstore but completely my own, and I got to catch up with friends while making it. It’s also a great way to make customized gifts! It was about $20 total for the mug, painting and firing, but the price mostly depends on what you choose to paint. It’s less messy than attempting to create your own pottery and isn’t as time consuming (although it did take me a while to get mine looking great). The two locations in Fairfax are Color Me Mine and Paint Your Own Pottery.

Visit a friend at another college

It sounds as simple as that because it is! Maybe you’re the type who has visited all of your other college friends like you promised, but I’m definitely not. I always seem to get trapped working on the weekends, or I think I’ll have plenty of time to plan a trip but find myself caught up in other things. Taking a Saturday and Sunday to visit a friend at Tech, ODU or dare I say…VCU…can be a great fresh breath of fresh air. It’s also better to go before either of you get shut down by exams and papers.  You might even be able to snag a few free meals, as well, if they are still on meal plans! I’ve also found that visiting a friend can help you regain some school pride. It can be fun to visit a giant school and party, but at the end of the day, I’m extremely proud of DC and Fairfax!

Have a dinner/wine party

This became a tradition when we moved off campus and had a little more room to host these parties, but I also have some great stories from the Dominion common room my freshman year. Having something to look forward to during an icy or work-hell week can make all the difference. Keep it small, and only have a dinner with three other friends. Also, make sure everyone brings something different. It shouldn’t be all on you, the organizer, to have to prepare everything. Splitting it up also helps the cost of something like this. Put on some good music, cook and hang out, while forgetting the stresses of the semester. It’s also nice to invite friends who can actually cook, but I am sadly not one of those.

It can be a simple idea or something outside of the box. Don’t let yourself get caught up in the winter blues. 

Photos courtesy of:

http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/rock-climbing.jpg

http://www.themudpie.com/assets/TMC051208_Studio_600x400-02.jpg

http://www.musicnfilms.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/New-Releases-Top-C…

http://mcpopdesign.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/ng3.jpg

Bri Perry

George Mason University

Since moving to DC a lot has changed for me. I love bringing people to new places and having a great time in the city.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com