Halloween Costume How-To’s.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

“In the real world, Halloween is when kids dress up in costumes and beg for candy. In ‘Girl World,’ Halloween is the one day a year when a girl can dress up like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it.”
-Mean Girls

The cool breeze and changing leaves across campus can only mean one thing–Fall is officially upon us! While sipping on my first pumpkin spice latte of the season, I got to thinking about all the wonderful things about Autumn. Chunky sweaters and infinity scarves were high up on the list, but the thought of celebrating my 22nd Halloween this year was at the very tippy-top! This October, my Hallow’s Eve wish to the great Pumpkin is for everyone to look FIERCE, not floozy. Let’s throw out the age-old “cat costume” of fishnets and a black leotard and exchange it for something smart, creative and sexy.

Katniss Everdeen

What you’ll need:
Black leggings
Black tee shirt
Combat boots
Oversized leather jacket
Sling and arrows

Find a friend to french braid your hair for the District 12 heroine’s signature ‘do. Top the look off with a mockingjay pin, and you’re ready for The Arena. Happy Hunger Games!

Black Widow

What you’ll need:
Leather leggings and top
Fingerless gloves
Motorcycle boots
Red wig
Toy pistols

Black on black on black is all you need for this superhero get-up! Add an official “Avengers” belt buckle so fellow trick-or-treaters won’t confuse you with Lara Croft…or Catwoman…or just a cat burglar.

Sookie Stackhouse

What you’ll need: 
Merlotte’s shirt
Black shorts
White tennis shoes
Blonde wig

Become Bon Temp’s sassiest waitress by copying her uniform. Draw a pair of fang bite marks on your neck as an homage to Vampire Bill!

Honey Boo-Boo Child

What you’ll need:
Lots of pink!
Lots of rhinestones!
Lots of hair!
Lots of attitude!!!

This may not be that smart or sexy, but it’s certainly creative! Glitz it up by dressing as TLC’s favorite “Toddler and Tiaras” star. Read up on the diva’s famous sayings so you can annoy your friends all night long! Don’t forget a bottle of go go juice! 

Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.