Wellness

Experience taking a break from social media

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

There is no doubt that social media has become a big part of today’s pop culture. Social media keeps us updated with just about anything you can think of. If you’re into politics, fashion, film, music, you name it; there is a person or organization to follow. Even though social media can be fun to keep your followers updated about whatever it is you’re doing with your life or simply to create aesthetics, time for yourself is equally important.

I too am guilty of spending hours on end on social media and feel pretty shitty afterward as well. It’s nothing like realizing the amount of time you wasted on social media when you could’ve been using your time to be productive. For some, social media can be an outlet to debrief from reality but try not to allow social media to become your reality.

Related: 4 Reasons Why You Should Take a Social Media Detox

Taking a break from social media is very important! Social media can be fun but can also be detrimental. More specifically, Instagram is where most people show themselves at their best and can cause feelings like you constantly have to prove something. Getting caught up in social media can easily cause one to start making comparisons to how other people are portraying how to live their life. Not to discredit everything you do on social media, but you never truly know what anyone is going through. Comparing yourself to a celebrity or a peer is absolutely not healthy. Keep in mind that what is meant for you is meant for you.

Whatever you wish to have you can, and it will come in due time. Apps such as Twitter have more of a comedic relief, but a break from the daily canceling is for sure needed. Taking a break doesn’t mean forever, but it means easing up on your consumption and enjoying some fresh air.

We live in a world where we all are constantly on our phones. Those moments when you don’t feel the need to even touch your phone are the best. Keep those around who make you forget you even have a phone close. There’s nothing wrong with documenting your adventures for the sake of your own memory or even sharing with others on social media. You will soon realize a lot of self-reflection when you don’t share every single move you make with your followers, and trust me it’s a great feeling.

Related: Taking a Break From Social Media is Good for Well-Being

This may seem unbelievable but think about the times you didn’t whip out your phone when you were having a good time. It probably wasn’t even a thought because you were having so much fun(or your phone died). Taking in moments such as concerts, carnivals, beach trips are so much more fun when you’re not constantly trying to keep others you don’t really care about involved. Once again I am not saying this is a terrible thing to do, but simply allow time and certain memories with those you love for yourself. 

By all means share that vacation, promotion, or outfit you’ve been working so hard for just keep in mind everyone loves a little mystery! Baby steps are fine — see how you do with just one week without being on any social media platform. Good luck, collegiettes!

Jalyn Green

George Mason University '22

Jalyn Green is a senior at George Mason University currently studying Communication with a minor in Film. She is a Philly native who enjoys spending time with friends, family, and dogs. She is also very passionate about music and fashion and hopes to become a creative director in the future.