This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Recruitment is right around the corner and girls on campus are buzzing with excitement! For someone participating in sorority recruitment for the first time, it can be a nerve wracking experience. I still remember when I first went through recruitment and I was worried I would say the wrong thing or wear the wrong thing. Recruitment shouldn’t be a stressful time; it should be fun and exciting starting this new chapter in your life! To ease some of the stresses of recruitment, I created a list of do’s and don’ts that will ensure recruitment is smooth sailing for you.

DO go into recruitment with an open mind!Sometimes, people go in with their heart set on a single sorority and then close themselves off from seeing what is great about all of the other organizations. All 7 of our panhellenic sororities have a lot of amazing things to offer and are full of a lot of amazing girls, so make sure you get to know each one! You never know where you will be invited back or where you’ll end up feeling at home. The biggest mistake you can make during recruitment is being closed minded.

DON’T talk about the two B’s: Boys or BoozeYes, its college, so there is booze and there are boys. However, neither of these things are relevant during recruitment. While the social aspects of being in a sorority are fun, the most important quality is the sisterhood. If all you want to talk about during recruitment is meeting boys and partying, it might seem like you are not joining a sorority for the right reasons.  Keep the talk positive during recruitment and focus on yourself, your interests and the sorority you’re talking with. 

DO wear comfortable shoesDays during recruitment are long, and most of the time you will be standing or walking from place to place. You want to be comfortable and confident the whole time otherwise it might affect your overall experience. Make sure you pick shoes that you won’t regret wearing by the end of the day. You’ll thank me later.

DON’T skip breakfastSeriously, saying recruitment is a long day is an understatement and you have to be on your game for all of it, especially the first day when you visit every sorority. The last thing you want is to get hangry. And breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Having a good breakfast is not only good for your health; it also improves your focus throughout the day. When you’re meeting different sororities you need to be focused on what you do or don’t like about them. 

DO get a good night’s restLike I’ve said before, recruitment days and nights are very long. If you were up till 2 am the night before, you will regret it the next day. And while we’re on the topic, don’t stay up late hanging out with friends or consuming alcohol. You will hate yourself the next day. Keep it a dry weekend filled with lots of sleep. 

DON’T be scaredRecruitment may seem daunting but it is supposed to be an exciting time! Don’t get intimidated by the chanting and over peppiness of the sorority girls, and don’t be nervous about making a good impression or being liked. The best thing you can do is relax and be yourself. Trust the process and know you will end up wherever you belong.

Haley McComber

George Mason University

Senior at GMU. Member of Gamma Phi Beta. Lover of coffee and all that glitters.
Anabella Tourkaman

George Mason University '17

Anabella graduated from George Mason University in 2017 with a B.A. in communication and public relations.