This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Fall is here, and us ladies know what that means! Leggings with knee-high boots, lovely scarves in every color (seriously, though, the fashion is wonderful), and pumpkin-flavored EVERYTHING never gets old. Even pumpkin-flavored lip gloss is a thing now… Please tell me I’m not the only one intrigued?

There has been a staple in every 20-somethings diet come every Autumn, the wonderful Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte. It never gets old. But did you know that you can actually make this DIY in your apartment/dorm for way less and yummier (with real pumpkin)!

This recipe from “The Kitchn.com,” has been tested and is so approved….

DIY Easy Pumpkin Spice Latte for Two: 

Ingredients

• 2 tablespoons canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, plus more to garnish
  • 2 tablespoons sugar 
  • 2 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1 to 2 shots espresso, about 1/4 cup
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped until firm peaks form

Instructions

1. Heat the pumpkin and spices: In a small saucepan over medium heat cook the pumpkin with the pumpkin pie spice for 2 minutes or until it’s hot and smells cooked. Keep stirring!
  2. Stir in the sugar: Add the sugar and stir until the mixture looks like a bubbly thick syrup.
  3. Warm the milk: Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract. Warm gently over medium heat, watching carefully to make sure it doesn’t boil over.
  4. Blend the milk: Carefully process the milk mixture with a hand blender or in a traditional blender (hold the lid down tightly with a thick wad of towels!) until frothy and blended.
  5. Mix the drinks: Make the espresso or coffee and divide between two mugs and add the frothed milk. Top with whipped cream and a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, or nutmeg if desired.

To Make it “Skinny:”

• Substitute Whole Milk for Nonfat or Soy
  • Use Splenda instead of Cane Sugar
  • Choose to not include Whipped Cream
  • Look for Organic canned pumpkin in the Natural Food Aisle

Enjoy!

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com