This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Halloween is such a fun holiday. You get to dress up as anything you want and do just about anything you want. There’s no shortage of parties, scary movies, and cool activities to do during this spooky season. More than likely, you’re gonna want to dress up in costume to any of the plans you make. Here are the costumes that are trending this Halloween for some ideas: 

1. Celebrity Costumes

Dressing like your celebrity crush is in this Halloween! A lot of people are choosing various celebrities and taking on their known style and adapting their famous personality types. This costume allows a lot of freedom to choose your favorite version of a celebrity and live life like a real celeb. Something to make this outfit shine is to stay in character and do some fun improv the whole night.

Via Giphy

2. Animal Costumes

Everyone loves doing a classic animal costume for Halloween. A suggestion for this year is to do unusual animal costumes, rather than doing the basic cat that we see year after year. Just imagine how much more fun it would be to do something that isn’t typically done. 

Via Giphy

3. Weird But Hilarious Costumes

Admit it, we all have that one friend who insists on wearing the most strange costume that we would never have thought of ourselves. Join in on the goofiness and wear something unexpected that will lead to tons of laughs and an even better time explaining your costume choice years from now. 

Via Giphy

4. Low Budget Costumes

Friendly reminder, we’re all in college so money isn’t always readily available. But don’t feel like you can’t participate in this Halloween season. There have been many times that Halloween snuck up on me and needed a last-minute costume idea. Now if you really don’t have any time to buy or make anything up last-minute go as yourself and say that you’re dressing up as a broke college student…works every time. 

Via Giphy

5. Group Costumes

The group costume opportunities at Halloween are endless. You and your friends can try embracing your goofy sides, dressing up as the cast from a movie or tv show, maybe doing something a little spooky, or trying out unique ideas. This idea can be done simply or can be elevated to the next level with costumes, makeup, and improving personalities. Group costumes are also fun when taking group photos at the end of the night.

Via Giphy

Whatever trend you decide you want to follow this year just have fun with it. Halloween isn’t just for young kids, we collegiettes deserve to have some fun too. Just not too much fun, okay?

Mckenzie Herndon

George Mason University '21

McKenzie is a sophomore at George Mason University and is planning on graduating with a degree in English with a concentration in literature. She loves the outdoors, her fur babies, and fueling her caffeine addiction. When she's not reading/writing in her spare time, she likes watching tv and hanging out with friends.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com