Colored Jeans for Your Fall Wardrobe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.
I recently wore red jeans to school and I cannot tell you how many people starred at me as I walked past them. I don’t know if this or a good or bad thing, but I have chosen to take it for the fact that I stood out and not because I looked like a sausage. Let’s approach this topic with consideration that a lot of people do not like to go out of their comfort zone. For instance, I would never wear heels to school due to the fact that I am extremely uncoordinated and know I would be the girl to fall on her face. But I will from time to time embrace an upcoming trend. Everyone I know owns about four to five pairs of jeans whether they are different cuts, washes or fabrics.  Red is not the easiest color to get used to but it is a great neutral believe it or not. Colored jeans are in and they have been since summer. I highly recommend investing in a pair of purple, bourbon or army green jeans.  What is the worse that can happen? You stand out and look fabulous. These washes can be worn with navy, black, grey, maroon, white, I can keep listing if you need me to.
Magazine editors, fashionistas and bloggers have all hopped onto this fall trend. It is the best way to brighten up your outfit on a dreary day. Pair them with riding boots or flats and a chunky sweater. Comfort is also crucial. The last thing you want is to be self conscious in a trend that you are not necessarily used to. When in doubt start with darker shades and build your confidence into the brighter pairs. Eggplant would be the perfect hue for anyone who dares to start breaking the blue jean matrix. This is not to say to get rid of your blues that you have counted on for the past fashionable years of your life. If I could wear jeans everyday, I would.  They are classic, can be dressed up or down and have stood against the test of time. All I am saying is dare to be diverse. No one will ostracize you, and if they do we can rock our bright skinnies on the same day in order to avoid complete isolation.  

$42-Nordstrom
Affordable and easy to give away once you feel this trend has passed.  Looks great with a grey top, lots of layered necklaces and black suede booties.

$165-Nordstrom
Great alternative to the blue jean.  Perfect for a concert, date night or the holidays.  Wear with a sequined top and jean jacket to get a downtown look.

$158-Nordstrom
Pair with a chambray button up and a tan flat.  These jeans are the statement piece of your outfit.  Keep the rest simple and have fun with a floral or nautical scarf.

$158-Nordstrom
Day or night wear these through fall, winter and the beginning of spring.  Silk shells, cardigans or cashmere turtlenecks in navy or cream would look best.  Throw on a leather jacket and oxfords and instantly feel put together.  

Tess Mackey

George Mason University

Tess is a senior at George Mason University majoring in Communication with a concentration in Public Relations.  She has been addicted to fashion since she was a child frequenting the streets of New York City with her mom, and collecting copies of her favorite magazines Instyle andVanity Fair.  Along with HerCampus, she is a style guru for CollegeFashionista.com, and she is beginning an internship this summer in journalism.  When she is not writing, she spends her time working at a local high-end local boutique and consignment shopping with friends.  
Sabel is a senior at George Mason University majoring in History and Economics. Although she'd rather stay a student forever, she is excited to see what the future brings her in the fashion industry. Besides her endeavors at HerCampus, Sabel is a Style Guru for CollegeFashionista.com writing the Style Advice of the Week column for Mason. Adding to her busy schedule are her duties in her sorority, volunteering for Operation Smile, contributing to the social media world, feeding her soda addiction, shopping at J.Crew and coloring everything around her pink. And yes, the last three are major priorities in her book.