This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

As winter slowly creeps in, various trends have quickly materialized due to changing style needs. Comfortable yet modern has remained a high standard for fashion as the weather changes, and the holiday season is no different! In just a matter of weeks, society has shifted what they believe to be chic right in time for Christmas. Listed below are just a few of the newest trends that have taken over social media and street style as a whole.

1. red

Although red is a bold color, the ability to style it is endless! Perfect red lips, red pumps or a red set is a show-stopping way to be festive for Christmas. My favorite red outfits for this holiday season are Fashion Nova’s blazer set and Rotita’s wide-leg jumpsuit.

2. ruching

Ruched fabric consists of fabric strips that are overlaid and gathered into tight folds to create a ripple-like effect. Simple ways to incorporate ruching within your wardrobe are options like this Free People ruched bodysuit or these trendy Boohoo leather ruched pants.

3. Emerald

As a color that screams elegance, emerald is a jewel tone that can flatter any complexion. This rich color not only adds depth but also blends into any traditional color palette. Emerald sweaters and synthetic emerald jewelry are all the rage this Christmas and pair nicely with earth tones.

4. mesh tops

Mesh can be a scary fabric to attempt to incorporate within your wardrobe, but this “second-skin” trend has taken over the fashion world by storm! Mesh tops have more commonly been worn with blazers, jeans or skirts for the holiday season. A cute white version of the popular mesh long sleeve is this one from Shein.

5. Sequins

The most popular holiday glam option is sequins! Whether it’s sequins incorporated in a full face of makeup, sequined pants or sequin-covered dresses, the possibilities are endless for wearing sequins this holiday season. An advantage of wearing sequins for Christmas is the ability to reuse your outfit when celebrating the new year!

6. skirts

As a staple item within any closet, and an endless possibility for prints and patterns, a skirt is the perfect article of clothing for any season. Skirts are making a comeback for the colder weather by being paired with stockings and layered with long outerwear such as this blazer perfect for Christmas.

Trends are ever-changing, and most of the time, it’s difficult to keep up with what’s in style or not! This Christmas season, be sure to venture into new styles and see if there are any that could last for you in your wardrobe long past the holiday season! 

George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com