This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at George Mason University chapter.

Thanksgiving is not only a feast to give thanks for all of the things we are grateful for, but it is also a meal of preparation for the biggest shopping day of the year; Black Friday. Every year, I bundle up and brave the Black Friday shopping crowds. Here are some survival tips that I have acquired over the years.

1. Bring coffee: 

Whether you’re doing your shopping at midnight or at 5 a.m., coffee is vital for survival. You’ll need the energy to push your way through crowds and avoid falling asleep in line. Homemade coffee from the Keurig is just fine, you won’t want to wait in line for hours at Starbucks! 

2. Go in with a plan:

Map out which stores you want to hit beforehand, and look up which stores have which deals. Lots of stores will offer deals such as “everything will be 50% off beginning at midnight”, so plan to be in line early. You might find yourself waiting in line for hours, so plan on getting their early to get the best spot in line. My favorite strategy for long lines is tag teaming, having one person wait in line while the other runs into another store, or does a coffee run. Or, if you’re really ambitious, bring a tent!

3. Use the buddy system:

Don’t attempt to go Black Friday shopping alone. With the crazy crowds fighting for the last item on the shelf, its easy to get lost or trampled (don’t laugh, it’s happened!). Pick a buddy to go with because two are better than one when it comes to braving a crowd. You don’t have to limit it to just one buddy, the more the merrier and there’s strength in numbers. Additionally, its always helpful to have a second opinion when deciding needs, wants, and an unbeatable deal! 

4. Get your holiday shopping done early:

You could easily buy all of the presents you need in this one night, and get the best deals possible. It’s a win-win situation! After Black Friday, malls will be a little scary to enter for a while, so you might as well get shopping out of the way. This is especially beneficial for procrastinators! 

5. Park with a purpose:

Parking is almost unavoidable. If you hit up a popular shopping location, then it will take you half an hour (or more) to find parking or eventually leave the parking lot. The best way to quickly find a spot is to follow the shoppers returning to their cars. You also might want to have someone drop you off, car pool, or even park in a less crowded location near the stores you want to visit. 

6.  Leave young children at home:

They’ll only slow you down and be scarred for life in the process, so just don’t. Protect the children! 

Happy Thanksgiving and may the Black Friday odds be ever in your favor! 

Haley McComber

George Mason University

Senior at GMU. Member of Gamma Phi Beta. Lover of coffee and all that glitters.
George Mason Contributor (GMU)

George Mason University '50

Want to get involved, or have a story idea we should write about? Email us! hc.georgemason@hercampus.com